Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate some advice on what to buy.

Next month will be my first duck hunt (my two year old Chesapeake as well), and I'd like to make sure I gear up adequately (dog too), and hopefully reasonably priced. I definitely do not want to waste money on things I wont need, and I have zero experience with purchasing or using any of the gear I will need. Here's what I know:

1) Early to mid October, near Indian Lake NY, so temps will range between mid 50's to low 30's.
2) I'd prefer breathable waders that will keep me warm enough in those temps, but that I can also use year round, preferably bootfoot (not stocking).
3) I'm also going to need a mid layer, socks, and a jacket. Would greatly appreciate advice on what's reasonably priced that is decent quality.
4) I bought a MoMarsh Versa dog vest for my Chessie, I dont even know if he will need one, but it seemed like a good idea, and it looked like the easiest to get a good fit on him.
4a) He's a big dog, 95 lbs, any thoughts on what to have him rest in/on in the blind with us?
4b) I've trained him for two years to be a duck dog, and he's got three JH passes in akc hunt tests, but he runs SH setups regularly and does really well. Any advice on a first hunt with my dog?
5) I'm mostly going to be focused on duck calling and handling the dog, my buddy is doing most of the shooting, but we will trade off a little so i can get my dog used to me shooting over/next to him. Gun and (non toxic) ammo is already accounted for.
6) I'm sure I've missed a ton here, please feel free to tell me what I've overlooked and what else I need.

Thank you, greatly.
Dog Liver Dog breed Carnivore Plant
Dog Liver Dog breed Carnivore Plant

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I would agree with all the items you mentioned. Don't worry, at this point, about details/features/brands....just stick with basic stuff. You'll be adding gear every year if you stick with it; no one starts out with all they will need. You'll find that you want a different piece of equipment...or several....every year for the next 20 years. From a $1 hand warmer to a $25K duck boat.
Almost all of us started with very basic gear and added more gear as we gained experience.
Don't make the mistake of buying a new item because the advertising sounds like you really NEED it. Wait until you are on a hunt and find yourself saying "man, I sure could use that new ____ that I saw in the Mack's catalog the other day..."
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would agree with all the items you mentioned. Don't worry, at this point, about details/features/brands....just stick with basic stuff. You'll be adding gear every year if you stick with it; no one starts out with all they will need. You'll find that you want a different piece of equipment...or several....every year for the next 20 years. From a $1 hand warmer to a $25K duck boat.
Almost all of us started with very basic gear and added more gear as we gained experience.
Don't make the mistake of buying a new item because the advertising sounds like you really NEED it. Wait until you are on a hunt and find yourself saying "man, I sure could use that new ____ that I saw in the Mack's catalog the other day..."
Good luck.
I certainly agree with this sentiment however, my goal here is not to buy the best, most expensive, shiniest gear, but rather to simply cover all the basics, with a focus on "best bang for the buck". I definitely do not want to be saying "man I wish I would've bought a good jacket", as i sit in the wet, freezing cold.

So, what I'm asking for here, is

1. Which (reasonably priced) jacket
2. Which (reasonably priced) gloves
3. Which (reasonably priced) waders
I bought the Tidewe breathable 1200g, fyi
4. Which (reasonably priced) dog vest
I bought the momarsh versa vest
5. Which (reasonably priced) socks
6. Where should my dog sit/rest? Should I buy something specific for this?
7. Anything I've overlooked which you think might be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
42,098 Posts
I certainly agree with this sentiment however, my goal here is not to buy the best, most expensive, shiniest gear, but rather to simply cover all the basics, with a focus on "best bang for the buck". I definitely do not want to be saying "man I wish I would've bought a good jacket", as i sit in the wet, freezing cold.

So, what I'm asking for here, is

I bought the Tidewe breathable 1200g, fyi
I bought the momarsh versa vest

Thanks in advance.
Your asking questions that will get you very subjective answers. From all across the country with different climates, methods of hunting, etc. I agree with Mudpack (believe it or not) you need to go, figure it out, look at reviews, search archives here and web search pricing on probbaly gear specifics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your asking questions that will get you very subjective answers. From all across the country with different climates, methods of hunting, etc.
Indeed I am! And in anticipation of this, I made sure to specify region (upstate NY, Indian lake), time of year (Early to mid October), and weather forecast/temperature range (mid 50's to low 30's). I'm hoping for a full range of responses which I can then research and apply to my budget, and preferences, as well as product size and availability. I'm hoping for some personal experience here.

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
42,098 Posts
Indeed I am! And in anticipation of this, I made sure to specify region (upstate NY, Indian lake), time of year (Early to mid October), and weather forecast/temperature range (mid 50's to low 30's). I'm hoping for a full range of responses which I can then research add apply to my budget, and preferences, and all as availability.

Thanks again!
Ignore the suggestion. Carry on newbie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ignore the suggestion. Carry on newbie.
I hope that didn't come across as disrespectful, that's not what I was going for but based on your response, I suspect it did. I was simply trying to respond directly to what your had written, which I did with genuine enthusiasm. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

·
Administrator
42,098 Posts
I hope that didn't come across as disrespectful, that's not what I was going for but based on your response, I suspect it did. I was simply trying to respond directly to what your had written, which I did with genuine enthusiasm. I greatly appreciate the feedback.
No foul, you're just coming across as needy. Like I said, you need to go, you need to spend a season out there, there is no "checklist" of preferred items, brands and costs that you can assemble. Take the basic's and learn. You're double disadvantaged, new duck hunter AND 1st time dog? Don't overthink the first few outings.

I think you're asking for too much detail. Answering all your checklist question isn't something most people will spend 30 minutes responding to. And if they do, they won't be thinking about certain months, in a certain part of the country, under certain circumstances.

I am just trying to keep it real for you. Go and learn, come back with specific questions based on having done it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your asking questions that will get you very subjective answers. From all across the country with different climates, methods of hunting, etc. I agree with Mudpack (believe it or not) you need to go, figure it out, look at reviews, search archives here and web search pricing on probbaly gear specifics.
Understood, and I've done all the above. Thus far I've bought waders and a dog vest. I definitely need a jacket, so I'm hoping to hear about what others use and like.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Any waterfowl jacket or coat with a zip out lining, good headgear is very important. Something for your dog to sit on out of the water. If you can't call,don't. Heavy waterproof and light gloves are a must. Don't overthink, just have fun. Your dogs first retrieve will live in your mind forever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any waterfowl jacket or coat with a zip out lining, good headgear is very important. Something for your dog to sit on out of the water. If you can't call,don't. Heavy waterproof and light gloves are a must. Don't overthink, just have fun. Your dogs first retrieve will live in your mind forever.
Thank you, I'm now down to gloves, socks, a dog rest/blind, and the infinite unknown. I'm way over budget.

- Bought the Drake Waterfowl LST Refuge 3.0 3-In-1 Jacket

- Bought the Tidewe breathable 1200g, fyi

- Bought the momarsh versa vest

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
You stick with it you'll always be over budget. Just get a heavy waterproof gloves for decoys and gear and decent shooting gloves while hunting. Heavy wool socks, wool holds heat wet or dry. Hot Hands hand and body warmers can save a day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts