Duck Hunting Forum banner

Newbie in North Carolina — looking for input — decoys in order of priority

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  noahsark 
Hey there folks, I looked through the posts but have been unsuccessful in locating info (please forgive me if if i missed it.. it is a big forum)

I am somewhat new to duck hunting, having been out only a few times over flooded rice fields when I lived in Texas as a guest of a buddy on his lease. Also, I am new to North Carolina. I don‘t own any decoys at this time but want to get active here, and will likely be a solo hunter on whatever public land I can get to. I’m based in Raleigh if that helps.

What I’m hoping to learn is what decoys you all would get, what quantity, and in what order based on species population coming through. My neighbor gave me a spot last season near Lake Jordan and it was a mile walk in, so I’m guessing 1-3 dozen decoys is about all I can realistically carry at any one time. I have another neighbor that wants to hunt Lake Mattamuskeet also.

My wife tells me I’m on a budget… so I gotta respect that limitation :)

Any guidance is welcome… and thank you in advance.
Cheers
In central NC, I would focus more on wood ducks and mallards. If hunting beaver ponds and such, about 6 wood duck decoys and a few mallards should be sufficient. If hunting larger bodies of water, you probably want to focus on species like redheads, scaup and bufflehead. Roughly 4 dozen should be sufficient. I absolutely love to hunt pintail but they tend to be hunted in isolated areas on the coast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.