Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the site, I'm a young fellar in HS yet and I'm pretty new to duck hunting. I usually just walk the creeks for woodies, but now they've all migrated. Now I am hunting ponds. I'll have about 30 mallard decoys after Chistmas, but I'm not sure how to rig them. Should I get the nylon decoy rope or the cord, what type of weights? I don't know a whole lot, but I do know I am going to be doing a lot of hunting, so I want to do it right. Thanks for the help! :help:

·
Registered
82 Posts
use that tanglefree line, the thick kind. get some six ounce weights that can wrap around the keel, i use about 4 feet of line and throw them out individually. (kinda deep water) i hunt puddlers but alot of people like to rig up divers on longlines. also i would get some pintail decoys they add some confidence to it pintails sretty skittish and the white on their chest can be seen from along way away.
good luck

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i use the diamond braided line 1/8 thick. its in knutsons. if you are hunting a pond. you only need the line chest wader deep.i am assuming you use chest waders to set your dekes. you should get the ace decoy anchors. you probly only need the 4 oz ones. they wont come off the decoy in the bag. the lead straps that wrap around the keel or neck break after awhile.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use tangle free line and I think it's great. Yea, you need to use cord crimps, they work great and only cost like 3 bucks for a pack of 24. I put one where the cord is attached and the keel and one at the weight. Never had a problem with line breaking or getting tangled. I use the strap weights that wrap around the keel or head.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you NEVER want to have tangled line in your bag and NEVER have to wrap your line. just let me know and I will pass on a 30 yr secert. and I know it works year after year on any type of decoy and very easy to do. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I quit using the tangle free line because it breaks in cold weather......I got a tip from another hunter and now use electrical wire....black 14 or 16 gauge....it may be a little more expensive but it will last a lot longer......and I think I rig mine the same way redlegger does..... :yes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use tanglefree line the original kind not the imatation. then you need to purchase some cord locks i buy mine at hobby lobby (about 25c a piece) or walmart carries some but they cost more. what you do is tie on weight or crimps it. i use fishing sinkers or i have a mold and make my own. then run decoy line thur eye of decoy on front or back end depending on which way you want it to float. the after line is thur hole take cord lock and slide it on line on the opposite side of the keel tie a knot in the end or crimp. then pull the weight right up against keel and slide cord lock up against keel on the oppsite side this keeps weight upagainst keel which cannot become tangled in bag! then just throw decoy in bag. it makes no diff. how long string is just stuff it in the bag! when it comes time to remove decoy just grab and pull it out it will slide right out some time the knot on the end stick but a small jerk on cord it will come right out. i have been using this system for 20yrs ( which i invented and it has never failed me!) to release the weight simply just squeeze the cord lockpull line thur and toss it out this can also be use to set deth on line if u like. some times in real cold weather it takes some muscle to squeeze cord lock (ice in spring) but whish it in the water to unfreeze it. if you don't understand this ask me some more question and i'll try to explain this better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well in bays i use the U shaped or Double u if u ant to use it it's according to the size of the bay but on opean water u put out a lot of ducks and feeding ducks and there all bunched up together and in woody area's I used the X shape pattern so i can get in the middel of my decoys and not scar the ducks manly by a tree

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well in bays i use the U shaped or Double u if u ant to use it it's according to the size of the bay but on opean water u put out a lot of ducks and feeding ducks and there all bunched up together and in woody area's I used the X shape pattern so i can get in the middel of my decoys and not scar the ducks manly by a tree
Somehow I think I missed something. :yes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
REDLEGGER said:
I use tanglefree line the original kind not the imatation. then you need to purchase some cord locks i buy mine at hobby lobby (about 25c a piece) or walmart carries some but they cost more. what you do is tie on weight or crimps it. i use fishing sinkers or i have a mold and make my own. then run decoy line thur eye of decoy on front or back end depending on which way you want it to float. the after line is thur hole take cord lock and slide it on line on the opposite side of the keel tie a knot in the end or crimp. then pull the weight right up against keel and slide cord lock up against keel on the oppsite side this keeps weight upagainst keel which cannot become tangled in bag! then just throw decoy in bag. it makes no diff. how long string is just stuff it in the bag! when it comes time to remove decoy just grab and pull it out it will slide right out some time the knot on the end stick but a small jerk on cord it will come right out. i have been using this system for 20yrs ( which i invented and it has never failed me!) to release the weight simply just squeeze the cord lockpull line thur and toss it out this can also be use to set deth on line if u like. some times in real cold weather it takes some muscle to squeeze cord lock (ice in spring) but whish it in the water to unfreeze it. if you don't understand this ask me some more question and i'll try to explain this better. :thumbsup:
I now have some work to do on my deks. Great idea. thanks man :smile:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.