Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to buy a night coyote/fox permit, and I wanna know a few things that maybe you guys know.

I can only use shot size from T to 4, what should I use. Also, if I want the pelt, where do I shoot it with the shotgun, I dont wanna blow holes through the pelt but will a headshot work with shot?

What else about night hunting is different (I have to be in a tree stand). I guess my main concerns are best time at night to hunt, and when to use a light because im afraid of scaring them away

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the best luck at twilight, or dawn, but they move all night long.
Turn the light on when you leave the truck, and dont shut it off till you return to the truck.
I use an electronic call, place ot about 20 yards upwind of my stand with a small cat toy (crazy tail) or cut out silhouette decoy and call constantly for about 30 minutes tops, then move on. You may want to have multiple stand sites since you are going to only call for about 30 minutes you can hit a few different areas in an evening hunt.
Watch the decoy and beyond it, but REALLY watch the downwind side, they will try to circle around you and get a nose full to see if it is safe. Shoot them before they smell you.
Even though its going to be night time, use full camo, including gloves and a face mask, they can see extremely well.
Sine you must be in a treestand, i wouldnt use any type of distressed bird calls, but rather, use injured or distressed rabbit calls, or rodent squeals. This way their eyes are glued to the ground, away from where you are located.
I hope this tid bit helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts