Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...I wanted to know if any of you guys have hunted without decoys and how that works for you. I left mine at my parents house last weekend and dont want to drive the 5 hours to get them, but if you think im not hunting this weekend you are crazy.

Anyways, I hunt mostly flooded timber with alot of wood ducks and the occasional big mallards. One canvasback in a few years, but Ive never been there without the dekes. Anybody got any ideas... thanks

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Maybe just go buy a dz of the cheapy decoys for $20 for the weekend.

God almighty I can not beleive I siad the above.... as I like and promote using quality decoys. :yes: Or maybe just bite the bullet and buy a dz of real good decoys instead--Christmas present to yourself you can call it.

Also maybe go hunting with another guy that does have decoys, a good way to spend the weekend together.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey I've hunted places without decoys before and have limited out. I'm not talking about jump shooting either, its all about being in the right place at the right time. As long as your going to hunt a spot that birds like thats all that matters.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Decoys are really just a confidence builder for the hunter. When I started hunting I had an old gun that was my grandpa's and some second hand hip boots. I would spend my lunch money on shells for the weekend. I had no money for decoys or blind material or anything really. I taught myself how to duck hunt and found that scouting was the most important tool any waterfowler could use. If you have done your homework and know where the ducks will be, all you have to do is show up with enough shells.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
TxDH so what did you end up doing and how did you do ?

BTW Lonewolf--nice signature :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.