Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
You don't have to push shot faster than 1500 fps to be effective. Patterns often get sketchy with the real fast stuff. You have to try it in your gun/choke to see. Be careful with Longshot. It goes over pressure of you push it too hard. It will work though. 7/8 to one oz of #3 steel at 1400-1500 makes a great duck load. I routinely shoot 3/4 oz of #3 in my twenty ga. It kills ducks just fine. I do choke it tight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The MG-42 wad is a thin, flimsy wad for steel shot.
Yeah it is. Historically it was a good steel wad. I have accumulated so many components at this point and have only 1 or 2 loads that work just OK. It's frustrating how much supplies BPI has sold me and I can't confidently get a good long distance load.

I initially purchased csd114's because that's all that was available. Then got some tps1275's and lbc43s. So I have a good selection of wads, just wished there was a good fast load I could make with them and a powder that can actually be obtained. I'm stuck with just longshot right now.

I have csd078's and clbc's and x12x gas seals coming so it may open a few doors. All the good fast loads were developed with Alliant Steel and I can't find any for the life of me. If anyone will sell me even a couple grains let me know lol.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Yes I agree with you, but the places I hunt the ducks never decoy due to hunting pressure so I want a load that can kill at distance using a full choke.
7/8 or 1oz of steel would not be a good skybuster load. 1 1/4 of #1 or BB would be better, and you have way better of a chance of a good 40-50yd pattern with that than 1600fps 7/8oz of 2s.

Or you could just ahoot bismuth. You can choke that down as far as you want, and the ballistics are going to be way better for skybusting.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Yes I agree with you, but the places I hunt the ducks never decoy due to hunting pressure so I want a load that can kill at distance using a full choke.
OK , here's one I have used ( not saying it will work for you) , you'll have to test it in your gun ! As I assume you know , pellet weight = distance !
2 3/4" Ched hull
Ched 209
34 gr Longshot
CLBC with 2 slits
Mylar wrap
7/8 oz of Steel T's , might want to go with more pattern density for Ducks ?
It was given to me with a tested 1600 fps at 10,900 psi

This load is a 60 yard Goose load with T's stacked in the hull out of a .030 choke in my 3 1/2" gun !

PS , you do know , the faster you push a round ball , the faster it slows down ? Long-Distance shooting is accomplished with pattern density and the right pellet weight !
Steel shot ballistics shows it's a dis-advantage past 50 yards , you might want to re-consider and try HTL with smaller shot sizes ? just saying

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had great luck with MG42 using Longshot and 1oz #3 in 2 3/4" Cheddite. Was around 32.0 gn if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info! With the research I've done, going back and forth for hours, I did end up making a load with 33gr of longshot in a 3" cheddite, trimmed csd114 wad, 2 1/4th cork and 1/8th felt filler and 1oz #3 shot. This is with intention of moving up to 35gr+ of longshot to get desired velocity without going over pressure. And yes, I know I am playing with a bomb but I understand the risk and have to do what I have to do in these times of no supplies. With whichever load I may develop that runs good out of my 870, I was eventually going to get it tested in a lab.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7/8 or 1oz of steel would not be a good skybuster load. 1 1/4 of #1 or BB would be better, and you have way better of a chance of a good 40-50yd pattern with that than 1600fps 7/8oz of 2s.

Or you could just ahoot bismuth. You can choke that down as far as you want, and the ballistics are going to be way better for skybusting.
Thanks for the input! That's really good info and I'll prob try that too. The loads I see for longshot with 1 1/4oz steel shot is going around 1400fps on the high end. Will that kill out to 50yds?

It's $125 shipped for 7lbs of B shot bismuth. At 1 1/4oz that would be around $1.40 per load. A little more than what I want to pay but may just have to pay to play.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK , here's one I have used ( not saying it will work for you) , you'll have to test it in your gun ! As I assume you know , pellet weight = distance !
2 3/4" Ched hull
Ched 209
34 gr Longshot
CLBC with 2 slits
Mylar wrap
7/8 oz of Steel T's , might want to go with more pattern density for Ducks ?
It was given to me with a tested 1600 fps at 10,900 psi

This load is a 60 yard Goose load with T's stacked in the hull out of a .030 choke in my 3 1/2" gun !

PS , you do know , the faster you push a round ball , the faster it slows down ? Long-Distance shooting is accomplished with pattern density and the right pellet weight !
Steel shot ballistics shows it's a dis-advantage past 50 yards , you might want to re-consider and try HTL with smaller shot sizes ? just saying
Thanks for the info and different perspective! I like that load also. In line with what others here are saying so I am going to go that route with heavier/bigger shot size but maybe still stay around the 1oz total shot weight.

The reason why I first went for higher velocity is just from what all I've read in forums (albeit, most of these posts are super old) about the Lightning Steel book and the loads that come out of it.

HTL/bismuth/etc is so expensive, it's really hard to swallow. Anyone know if there are places with better prices than BPI/PR/etc?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Thanks for the info and different perspective! I like that load also. In line with what others here are saying so I am going to go that route with heavier/bigger shot size but maybe still stay around the 1oz total shot weight.

The reason why I first went for higher velocity is just from what all I've read in forums (albeit, most of these posts are super old) about the Lightning Steel book and the loads that come out of it.

HTL/bismuth/etc is so expensive, it's really hard to swallow. Anyone know if there are places with better prices than BPI/PR/etc?
I have had great luck with 1 oz loads at high velocity. Killed a ton of geese with 1oz #1 or #2 . My go to duck load has been 1 oz #3.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Thanks for the input! That's really good info and I'll prob try that too. The loads I see for longshot with 1 1/4oz steel shot is going around 1400fps on the high end. Will that kill out to 50yds?

It's $125 shipped for 7lbs of B shot bismuth. At 1 1/4oz that would be around $1.40 per load. A little more than what I want to pay but may just have to pay to play.
1400fps 1's will kill a mallard at 50 all day long, that is what I used to use on windy days because that 2nd and 3rd shot are usually out there. Most of my group shoot 1 1/4 BB for ducks late season, not because we shoot long shots but again because of the wind. Bigger shot bucks wind better and when you have a 25-35mph wind behind you, first shot is at 30 over the decoys, second is 40 going up, and third if you take it is 50+ going up and out. I've seen some stone dead mallards WAYYY out there when guys are finishing a gimped duck getting out. Sunday we had a group of gadwalls hang up, I called the shot on a pair that broke off and got to about 35ish on the 12th swing. Buddy waxed one off his end on his 3rd shot with 3.5" BB, I swear it was all of 65 yards out there. I couldn't believe it.

Alternatively you could go to #4 bismuth and kill a duck at 50 yards with ease (#4 bizzy equals about #1 steel). 1 or 1 1/8oz at 1300fps is plenty. I know because I've already done it this year with 20 gauge 7/8oz of 4's. I let others shoot first and then kill it when they miss, WAY out there... and every duck I've hit so far has looked like it got hit by a bus. Your loads are not going to be too expensive, and there are tons of longshot loads available. I made the mistake and thought 4's would be a good mallard load for decoying birds and geese. Its great for giant canadas, but I am destroying all my ducks. I will be shooting 5s or 6's next year. I don't normally shoot past 40, but I am having to wait and let others shoot over the decoys then clean up the long birds so I have something left to eat... Kind of an odd thing to do with a 20 gauge.

Bismuth B would be a great long range pass shooting canada goose load.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Yep back when I was buying and shooting factory I found NO Better load than 1425 fps 1 1/4 oz of #1's out as far as I could hit'em !
I reload a very efficient load these days , it's a 1 1/16 oz (465 grs) of #3's in steel , at 1475 fps and they do all I need out to 50 yds !
If I'm going to need more than that , a 1 oz load of # 7's with 15 g/cc have made me more successful than the #1's steel !
I will tell you this , I shoot a lot less 15 g/cc shells with more success past 50 yds ....!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I tried out some 3" loads. One with 1 1/8oz and 29gr of Longshot and a 1oz load with 33grs. They both seemed to shoot pretty good but the CSD114 (trimmed) wads i'm using are getting banged up and mangled. The gas seals appear to have melted a little and the wad itself I can see small holes from the shot (using copper plated steel BB's (.177) from wal-mart). My barrel isn't scratched so the wads are doing their job. Haven't had time to pattern them yet but will do that soon.

What is actually causing these wads to get so beat up or are they just cheaply made wads?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Years ago I shot 30gn of Longshot with 1 oz and csd100 wad. Was always a great performer.

Nice. I just got in some clbc and csd078 wads I'm going to try some lighter shot loads with.

I'm starting to like Longshot better than A steel because it takes up less space. Maybe my Lee load all is too weak to press the wads deep enough but I haven't been able to make the HG load w 1 1/8oz shot and 34grs of asteel because it won't fit.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Nice. I just got in some clbc and csd078 wads I'm going to try some lighter shot loads with.

I'm starting to like Longshot better than A steel because it takes up less space. Maybe my Lee load all is too weak to press the wads deep enough but I haven't been able to make the HG load w 1 1/8oz shot and 34grs of asteel because it won't fit.
Fit in that load depends on hull volume and shot size. With #2's, a lot of folks have to use some kind of tube to support the hull as it's crimped to avoid buckling. I drop the powder charge to 32 grains, or use the deeper federal hull. Otherwise, you may have to remove a few pellets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts