Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
i dont hunt it too regularly but there are good nimbers of divers seen in some areas. it is kindof tough hunting in some areas because the river is carving through mountains so you are way below passing flocks. not to say they dont fly down the river. you also have to be careful of NJ PA boundaries...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Do you see many divers in that area?? I havent hunted there since coming up to school in maine, but i want to hit it up when i am home for thanksgiving break..

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I realize these post are from last season, but just in case anyone is interested for now, i have been up there twice so far this season at the Del water gap area, there have been quite a few mallards, a few woodies, and some red breasted mergs, big problem has been all the rain, makes it sort of dangerous, was going to go tomorrow, but river is flooded again, have to wait till sat.

·
Registered
211 Posts
welcome to the nj forum here on dhc glad to have ya..

yes this thread is from last season but the advice is always needed. i myself have not been up that way this year but i always remember a good number of redheads useing that area also actually a bit more up river than the gap.

you made a good point about the waters being dangerous especially with all the recent rains, be safe out there guys....

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
took the kids there yesterday and had a blast, kids got in some good shooting, just didn't hit anything, but they were very excited, saw plenty of mallards, a few woodies, and believe it or not, saw my first pair of goldeneyes ever, didn't think we ever had them around here. Water was still pretty high, but i guess we had everything just right, they were comming without any hesitation at all. Just need to get the kids to the skeet range somemore. But either way, they had tons of fun and thats what it's all about. Plan on going up there often this year, so I'll keep everyone posted on whats going on in the area,

·
Registered
608 Posts
Crew i hunt the river...south of you....down in bucks and montgromery county.....i've done good....it is tough hunting...thers alotta current....mallards down like the current....so you have to pick your spots and it does curves its way threw the mountains...so you don't always get to work the ducks...like you'd work them on the open water....but it can be fast shooting and decoying when they do sow up...i was up there during the early season...and we had our best season so far....even had a few snow geese stop there and spend a few days there.....firsttime i ever seen that happen...but really the river is good mostly during the first freeze...all the ducks come into it...we've seen buffleheads...goldeneyes had a flock of pintails buzz over us..in the past.....some greenwings teals...plenty of woodies...lots of canadas on and off the river alday....so you can hunt them alday..we have both Njand Pa licenses...so we can hunt bothsides.....just watch your safety zones...people are very protective along the river........Honkers41

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yea, i know a guy in the frenchtown area and they were spankin them early season, i also have a new hunting partner who lives down near bordentown, says it can be pretty good off that large island just south of there, hoping to get down there in the next week or so, but you know how it is, so much water, so little time. Anyway, thanks for the info, and good luck to you the rest of the season

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.