Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't get to go yet. I hunt the south zone, so this saturday is the day. I can't wait. I'll post up with my results. I'm hoping to get some birds. Probably get some gads and teal.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Heather,

If you're hunting Peach Point I agree. Teal will most likely make up your bag. I hunted there very heavy several years ago and Teal, Gadwalls and Shovelers made up most of our limits. The first time I ever hunted Peach Point we ended up only bringing home four birds: three teal and one mottled duck that I shot as we were picking up the decoys....it ended up being banded! I hate dealing with the crowds (camped out all night a few times), but the convenience is great!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hendu,
Teal contribute to most or our bags out there. But that's fine with me. I like shooting those little jets, and they taste good, too! You are right on about what makes up bags out there. In the past year, though, I've noticed more wigeon. That's just in my experiences out there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yeah, I don't mind shooting Teal either. It's a blast and very challenging! Whenever we didn't feel like waiting in line at Peach Point, we'd run over to Quintana. Pretty quick after you get on the beach (headed southward) a large amount of water pockets that runs all the way down to the levee. A little farther it picks up again and runs almost all the way down to the river. Didn't have much trouble picking up birds out there. We went scouting down there a couple of weeks ago and there were birds everywhere, mainly Teal and Gadwalls. We did see one small group of Redheads of about 7 or 8. The City of Freeport was supossed to annex a portion of the beach in that area, but I'm not sure if that's happened yet. We may hunt that area anyways and just wait to see if we get approached by the Freeport Po-Po.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to the forum, just reading up on some of the post and was just wondering where in quitman the duck slayer might reside...small town and well I have family in those parts...some pretty awesome hunting spots too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hunted opening morning at Tawakoni (2 woodies) Hunted Lewisville this past weekend (1 teal, 2 Gad's) Just haven't had the weather to push any new bird in. Beginning to think inorder to get a limit you'll have to travel north... (just my thoughts)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lewisville has a separate permit that you will need to get. It's free and you can get them in Lewisville address U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 1801 N Mill Street Lewisville, TX 75057-1821 Phone: (972) 434-1666

requirements: DL, hunters education card.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you had any other luck in the area. We're headed out to a pond and hopefully a flooded field, on Friday morning. I thought about testing my luck at Cedar Creek Lake on Saturday. Hopefully we'll have so luck on our side!

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the birds are here the hunting can be pretty good... A lot of construction going on in the area around the lake. some there want be anymore hunting at all on that lake.. The lake is up

We've hunted Cedar Creek before (about 3yrs ago). We put in right off the Hwy. haven't hunted it since then. Have you had any luck there?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cedar Creek has it's moments enough to make me go back. We hunted a cove next to the dam. I've had some other friends tell me that they putin right off the highway too. Just right there next to the bridge. We are always looking for a good place to go close to home. On Lewisville do you need a boat to get to the ducks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
there are some places you can get to by foot. It's better if have a boat and get into the shallow areas. right now there's a lot of cover with the lake level up. Thinking about going Sat. depends on levels at Tawakoni and Texoma.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.