Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just starting the sport of duck hunting and i wanted to know how many decoys to use. my budget is limited to 200 dollars.

:withstupid:

·
Registered
265 Posts
stick with the Hot-buys at Cabelas (real-cheap) they hold up and it's a great way to put alot of ducks on the pond. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If ya hunt open water...youll need more decoys. I hunt alot of small impoundments...early, when they fly mostly in 1-3's, I use three decoys. Later when they start bunching up, I use less than a dozen...I have to walk in however. If my buddy comes along, we will have a couple dozen and a couple wave makers. Alot is trial and error. Y'all have a nice day! :cool:

·
Registered
450 Posts
you can do alot with 200 dollars. i would buy a doz mallards and a dozen divers like blue bills or whatever is in your area. if no divers buy 2 dozen mallards. i would recomend g&h or herters. it maters alot on were you are hunting though. boat or pond or river ect. more info pls.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It all depends on where you hunt at. Hard to say without having some more info.
In the timber we either don't use decoys or we use a small spread.
On small rivers we use 2 to 3 dozen.
On big water or grain fields we will run anywhere from 1 dozen to 20 dozen.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
We have 2 1/2 doz. decoys at our disposal but usally use less than 1 doz. unless we are hunting flooded fields then we use the whole shebang. If you have to walk in then 1-2 doz is all you will want and if your hunting small bodies of water, streams, ponds, etc... that will suffice. If all you have is 200$ to get started with then you might want to channel some of that 200 into other things for duck hunting like calls, decoy bag, etc...
Welcome to the sport and may you have many years of great hunting. :thumbsup:

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

·
Registered
572 Posts
if money is an issue go with hot buys they cost 20 bucks a dozen, they look great, and they hold up well. My roomate and I each bought 2 dozen this year and put them through hell and back and they still look great. Get a couple dozen of those and maybe a couple feeder butt decoys for realism, and then get one or two good calls and you are all set. Good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
883 Posts
I like the Green Head Gear also, some have said G&H, that's fine also. But, you better have more than $200 if ya want 2 dozen of the G&H. That would MAYBE buy them without the tax. I'd say get some middle of the road decoys and buy some other gear with what's left: decoy bag, calls, shot shells, decent gun case, etc... MY opinion. But good luck whatever road you choose, decoys are habit forming! I now have a garage full.
:salude:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Everyone has a good point. Yeah, G&H are excellent decoys, but to get a start in duck hunting, they are not absolutely necessary. If you wish to have a quality decoy that will last quite some time, go ahead and consider some of those more expensive cork and /or burlap. if you buy yourself some GHG or Cabelas Hotbuys you might save a lil' more dough. Some people have even found great deals on internet auction sites. Oh yeah, don't forget the DHC classifieds. You can start cheap and build up over time. Furthermore, you might want to think about when you do your hunting, what kind of birds you have coming through. i.e.; divers, teals, wood ducks, etc. It never hurts to have several different species to add a little more realism.

PS: you have to think about anchors and cord too. Personally I'd start cheap and build up over time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
right now cabelas has G&H Weighted Keel Stationary Head Super Magnum, Mallard Decoys on sale for $69 a doz they are 22inchers. thats $20 off. i use all herters but thats a pretty good deal. you got time to wait for sales and closeouts.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
G&H is a great deke, and 70 bucks a dozen is a good deal for them, however, IMIHO i would start off with a couple of dozen lifesize series mallards from Avery GreenHead Gear (better than the hotbuys and still only about 36 bucks a dozen retail) also, if you have widgeon in your area spend the 30 bucks and get a 6-pack of widgeon dekes to mix in with the mallards. :getdown:

then, if you are going to be carrying these on your back, spend the 50 bucks and get a GOOD bag. Avery makes the one that i use that carries 4 dozen standard size dekes and has a built in back pad, packpack style padded shoulder straps, and a padded weight distributing belt that goes around your hips to help carry the load. also, the bag rides a lot higher than normal bags and won't hit the back of your legs when you walk.
this is money well spent and something you will need right away if you walk with your dekes.

-Ed

·
Registered
450 Posts
SP wrote:
however, IMIHO i would start off with a couple of dozen lifesize series mallards from Avery GreenHead Gear (better than the hotbuys and still only about 36 bucks a dozen retail)
yes i agree. there are so many different things you can buy but to me thats the fun! the life size ghg is a good idea. thats what i do in the off season shop for dekes try to get the most for my money. almost as fun as hunting. i like to keep it where a package comes about once a month :yes: keeps me happy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I really have to agree with an earlier comment about a good bag- it can make a huge difference in your overall experience if you are walking in. I have a $hitty bag from cabelas that hangs so low it hits my legs with every step and I can hear the paint grinding off of my dekes as the rub against one another...and that sucks. Needless to say, I'll be looking at that Avery bag pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Agreed on the bag...I have to walk in as well. Now every year when my kid needs a new backpak for school, it comes in a nuetral color and has a large enough pack to hold 5-6 dekes. Throw in some inflatables...clip a couple extra dekes on the pack...off ya go. Small package, quite, secure, and enough room in pockets for bullets, snack, xtra gloves, and calls. Under $25...Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
I have amassed my spread over the years. Dont run out all at one time to find your "perfect" spread.
I killed just as many ducks over 3 decoys this year than I did using a dozen or more.
If your hunting open water...get more dekes :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.