Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ya'll. I was just wondering if anybody has considered or attempted to take that crippled duck home to nurse it back to good health rather than beating it's cranium against your stock or ringin' it's neck? Last week I downed a drake widgeon, only busted it's wing. Well my dog/buddy (his name is Killer) retrieved it for me. When he brought it back I gave his skull a good pounding on my stock, I figured it was goodnight for old drakey boy. When I got home I was wrong. I unloaded my decoy bags out of the boat to rinse em off. I was in a hurry to get home so I stuffed old drakey boy at the top of a bag. When I opened it up he ran for San Francisco! I was surprised, though it didn't amaze me. Ducks are tough and smart. Old drakey was probably playing dead so I wouldn't give him another good whackin. Well anyways that funny question above crossed my mind before I gave old drakey his final lullabye on the front end of my chrome bumper on the Ford Excursion. Ouch! I sure am glad I'm a human...well most of the time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Illegual unless you have a wildlife rehabilitators liscense. Check regs. too. Says you need to immediately dispatch any wounded animal retrieved during a hunt. I know you said you tried to do it so no blame is to be made. Try breaking the neck instead of smashing the skull next time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
When in dought, Do the

WIND MILL..........

Hold by the Bill and Wirl around and around and around and around till you hear the SNAP, if it goes Snap and Fling, you will NOT have a Surprise when you get home..........you will have the head in your hand and have to chase after the body! :yes:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Bite its head and crush the skull. :yes:

This reminds me of an old trapper I used to know. He drove and old 4 door sedan on his trapline trapping fox. One day he was going down the road and he felt like something was watching him. He looked into the review view mirror to see a Red Fox watching him. He damned near crashed the car! hahahhaaa Anyway, he was in a hurry and hit the fox over the head--stunned in only, thus it woke up up his back seat a 1/2 hout later.
And of course there it the guy that shot that nice buck some years back, turned out his bullet richoeted off the skull and knocked out the deer. He gets there leans his gun against the tree and pulled out the knife and just starts to cut it to gut it out and the buck wakes up! :eek: up it got with him up top of it--and it bucked him off after about 10' and off it ran. :laughing:
I got bit by a muskrat years ago becuse I did not properly dispatch it, I reached under the boat seat feeling for dead rats as I was loading them up and whammo the little bugger was hiding under the seat and I did not know it was there and it sliced right through my rubber gloves and into my finger.
Yup, make sure they is dead is best policy, not even to mention the ethical part of it too.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
ILLEAGAL.........you went out hunting to kill ducks......... to try and nurse a duck back to health...In my opinion would be cruel to the duck. Besides, most cripples are caused by a body shot, which basically is the duck bleeding on the inside...leads to death or a broken/shattered wing which I think would be pretty hard to repair do to size of bones. ILLEAGAL BY LAW.....A reasonable effort must be made to retrieve any killed or wounded birds and any wounded bird retrieved must be IMMEDIATELY KILLED and made a part of the bag limit. After retention, the birds must be kept in an edible condition

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya ya ya ya, I know the laws and regulations for watefowl/duck hunting.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Yeah, but with a name like duckydoo we all thoguht maybe you was one of them animal rights activists or some thing. :umm:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ringing the neck works good. just make sure the neck is broken when your done. no more suffering for the duck.if a duck is even moving at all when the dog brings it back i ring its neck. dont want ducks suffering or sneaking out of the bag.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You call yourself a hunter........spotlighting deer out of the back of your pickup?????????

You might have noticed by now, but most of use here in the chat room are hunters that do care about conservation, and the overall wellbeing of wildlife.

spotlighting deer :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That is a bad joke if it is. I am all about joking around. But I must say that even crossed my limits. I have asked questions out of my own ignorance of duck hunting. I have said things in jest that might be taken the wrong way. But damn...I don't think I ever went that far.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It is unlawful for any person, or one or more of a group of persons together, to willfully throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light in an apparent attempt or intent to locate deer by the use of such light.

It is illegal to hunt, shoot at, chase, or kill any wild animal, wild bird, or wildfowl from a public road right-of-way, or from any motorized vehicle, or to shoot any firearms across or from any public road or vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
maybe down their but theres always people doing that kinda stuff by me, we watch from my grandpas house, a car driven slowly down the road, all of a sudden it stops, part of the woods light up and bang, this all happens at like midnight

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.