Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For most the duck season is about over if it isn't already. I'm curious to hear what everyone does for off season projects for their duck hunting?

Personally I have this thing about my own blind where it's never really camoed enough? I'll spend a lot of time adding more natural vegatation and whatnot. Heck I planted a couple vines around it 2 years ago and it's since grown all over it. It's basically 2 trees about 18 foot apart and I built a floor and half a front wall. From there I've built stools, shell and gear compartments and even an area for a stove/grill. It seats 4 very well with all the gear and yes....a dog door and a front plank for ol Sally.

One of these years I'd like to get into carving my own cork decoys, sounds like my kind of hobby.

I hope I'm not alone with my 365/year obsession, any others have projects?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like quite the project.

I'm still scouting out my piece of heaven, hopefully I can enjoy the projects as much as you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
We work on our duck boat all the time. You would be amazed at what you can pick up on ebay to outfit it with. Put a heck of a paint job on it last year. This year, it will be a blind. If anybody knows how to stablize a flatbottom 12ft jonboat let me know.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
We work on our duck boat all the time. You would be amazed at what you can pick up on ebay to outfit it with. Put a heck of a paint job on it last year. This year, it will be a blind. If anybody knows how to stablize a flatbottom 12ft jonboat let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ks-waterfowler to stabilize our boat when we are hunting in the swamp we push it into the cattails and stick the oars into the mud at the front and the back of the boat. Then we tie it off. It works pretty good

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stabilizing can be made by buying a couple of the herters oarlock mounts for $3 each in cabelas and running conduit through them into the mud. I bought them but I have a wide bottom 54" jon and never seem to really need them. Hope this helps.

·
1,455 Posts
I have a few projects underway.I made several s/s spreader rigs and some swivel mounts for jerk cord anchors.The swivel mounts are pulleys attached to a revolving base with a few pounds of weight slung beneath.I'm also making my own portable ground blind that doubles as an equipment carrier,I'm using 1 inch steel conduit for the frame.I am always busy with the boats,thats what boats do to you I suppose. :) I have to get to the range more often now that the wife bought me a Ruger red label all weather s/s O/U shotgun. :D

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I would love to here what everyone thinks about my little arguement. My friends say its way too early to start making a blind, becuase it will just sit around out there and go bad, yet i think it will be alright throughout the summer... Also i really need something to do that has to do with hunting or ill go insane.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I have a bunch of Wood duck and Mallard hen houses out. I put out another 8 Woodie boxes with cone shaped predator guards and 11 more Mallard hens out this year in addition to the over 30 I already had out…

·
Registered
5 Posts
we like to get together.. tell lies drink beer and spend time away from the women... so we have a "members only" meeting every month.. at a local bar of course.. other than that.. we dont do much other that dream

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
during summer I turn to fishing mode. then 2 to 3 months before opening day I go duck crazy, repainting decoys, practicing call, checking equipement etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want to camo your blind real well, get some elastic and staple it every 6 inches or so and u can put corn shucks or grass or other vegetation under the elastic and it will hold it in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts