Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
Yeah Dep, and in those same winds you had day1. :ROFLMAO:
I've been out in pretty windy days.

A good guide has a plan B and C. You just set up according to the wind. We go 3 days. Twice we did not get a plan A hunt at least one day. Most of the plan B hunts have been great. Even the plan C hunts have generally been good.

We got a plan A+ hunt on Erie. Heading out in the morning, the guy said we almost never get to go out this far because of the wind and waves. Problem was we had no wind or waves at all. Saw a lot of ducks but we looked like a big bunch of duck decoys surrounding a gray boat with hunters laying in it sitting on glass. 5 hours in a layout boat shoot two ducks. It's a long long morning. On the plus side one was my first drake bufflehead.

·
Administrator
42,633 Posts
I've been out in pretty windy days.

A good guide has a plan B and C. You just set up according to the wind. We go 3 days. Twice we did not get a plan A hunt at least one day. Most of the plan B hunts have been great. Even the plan C hunts have generally been good.

We got a plan A+ hunt on Erie. Heading out in the morning, the guy said we almost never get to go out this far because of the wind and waves. Problem was we had no wind or waves at all. Saw a lot of ducks but we looked like a big bunch of duck decoys surrounding a gray boat with hunters laying in it sitting on glass. 5 hours in a layout boat shoot two ducks. It's a long long morning. On the plus side one was my first drake bufflehead.
I took it the wind he described was pretty severe. I've never seen Erie glassy... :unsure: I'm not sure what my shot/kill ratio would be shooting at divers, from a lay-out boat bobbing up and down, in high winds. I am guessing not good.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
I took it the wind he described was pretty severe. I've never seen Erie glassy... :unsure: I'm not sure what my shot/kill ratio would be shooting at divers, from a lay-out boat bobbing up and down, in high winds. I am guessing not good.
Probably a Plan B or Plan C day. As noted we have had great hunting on Plan B days.

Day 1 of the Erie trip was crazy calm. Day 2 was a plan C day. The wind was not even safe to go on the lake. We went to Maumee Bay and after a fruitless start went to plan D. Beached the tender boat and hunted from shore. Actually did Ok. Did the same the third day and had a good hunt.

The trick is to get up smooth and fairly quick. I have my gun in my shoulder resting on the layout. I find I get up with the gun mounted properly that way. Then do not think about. Just focus on the bird and do what you have done thousands of times before on clays and the real thing. I actually find it harder to hit the cripples on the water than the decoying birds in the air. With a decent waves. It's like a carnival game shooting them on the water. You need to hit it before it bobs out of sight while you are bobbing up and down. In the air, if you are focused you don't notice any of that. Your mind compensates for you. The harder part is getting up quickly with the gun mounted properly and your limit range of motion if they go left and especially right if you are right handed.

I'm happy with a full box for 6, but that includes cripples. Don't spare the shells on wounded birds. They dive and that is usually that. You unfortunately can lose a fair amount of cripples. I still have vivid memories of a beautiful mature drake Old Squaw swimming towards Toronto. Three mature drakes came together when I was by myself in the layout. Normally I only shoot one as I am in no rush to be done. But this was worth the memory. First shot, the first drake is going down, but oh ****, he ain't dead. I take two more cracks at him on the way down. He pops up looking unharmed. Reload, a few more whacks at the carnival game to no effect. Now he's out of range just make a beeline to Canada. The tender boat comes racing up. Just as they kill the motor. Down he goes never to be seen again.

If you get in your head and think too much. They can be impossible to hit. Happened to me one day. My buddy completely fell apart one day. We had two layouts. We took 3 limits out of the one while he burned about 3 boxes of shells to get 3 😲

·
Administrator
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I will say that it was some of the most challenging shooting that I have ever done to take the birds I did, we got the 11 birds on Day 1. The huge wave breaking over the bow, that soaked me, I didn't see it coming. Captain Jeff yelled out about 3-4 seconds before it broke over. Was not fun in the front seat I promise. No one got seasick but that is the most wave action that I have been out in a long time. The wind just wouldn't stop!!

• Wow
Reactions: Aceoky
21 - 26 of 26 Posts