Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many are like me in that you value substance over appearance. I mean I am to the point where if my hair is over the collar: big deal. I had the Ross Perot look in Coprorate America for 14 years. I am done with it. I have too much Indian blood in me for a full beard but the hair----what is left of it, is just not important anymore. I am either judged by my actions or else it just don't matter.

I find myself locked in old fashion habits not willing to pursue the newer styles. I find myself not worried about the grey on the sides. I see myself appreciating more in women than the perfection I demanded 20 years ago.

I see the value of a good waterdog over the chance to be seen or be in certain venues with the right people. I am not lax on my work nor how I treat my family and fellow man but I do see through what is important and what is not. I find myself focusing on what I can change and enjoying what is good in life.

I find all my friends are duck hunters. As duck hunters go, good ones anyway, they are the most dependable folks on the planet who will not let you down. I enjoy a good cold beer occasionally on the porch of an old camp house but would not be caught dead in a singles bar.

Each day, I see more and more of my father in the mirror when I shave. I am getting older but I am at peace with it. I thank God for each day and each sunrise in the duck blind. I thank him for the ability to see the vapors steaming from my Lab's warm breath on a January morning or the look of my son when we have a flight land on us. I thank him for the Loving look, loyal nature and the refusal to give up he imparts to good duck dogs. I value the intense look a good duck dog has when in hot pursuit over the finest shotgun money can buy.

Am I the only mid lifer out there at this stage in the game?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
NO.

i am only 29 and have been this way for the better part of 10 years. no grey yet, but definitely loosing my hair at an accellerated rate. come to think of it though, i have always been this way. welcome to the good times!

·
Registered
572 Posts
98ramtough said:
I am 22 and have felt that way for a few years now.. :eek:
yep same here. why should I care if the person down the street doesn't like my wranglers, Sh*t kickers or cowboy hat, if they are going to judge me on what close I wear I don't want to be associated with them. And I would much rather have a good dog than be "in" with the "in crowd". great post I love it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Man that's me, I walked away from a great career in So Cal, and so did my wife. We became sick of trying to keep up with the Jones. Working to have bigger, better, faster and newer, I heard a Preacher say one day "Its better live rich, than to die rich" it made sense to me. I'm a wealthy man; I have Jesus as my savior, a wife who loves me, three great kids, and a butt kicking Chessie what else do I need.

What makes me wealthy isn't money, but time spent with my wife and kids. Memories they can't take them away from you. To get up early and go out and have a cup of coffee next to a fire at down, and then to have my wife join me, It's just her and I looking out over the river, to be they're to see my boys knock down their first ducks, or land their first northerns. That's been heaven.

Right now my family in Cali thinks I'm an idiot for leaving. I think Hank Jr said, " If this is the promise land, I've had all I could stand" that was my attitude before I left. We haven't regretted it. We scaled down made a lot changes we love it

Even thou the duck hunting up here is great, but after the 80s duck drought. A lot of duck hunters quit and went deer hunting. So now after finding DHC and all guys and gals I have a ton of new friends witch makes me even wealthier.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Amen 870. I don't have alot of money, but I have what I need. I don't have all that I want, but that is up to me to earn it. My goat-tee is getting gray, same with my hair. I don't care. I have a wife I love to spend time with and she never has a bad word to say when I hunt or fish. My dogs are not the best hunters, but I would not trade them in for anything. Good dogs, great wife, nice house, game lands close...I am happy with who and where I am. I like being a real person. What you see is what you get...like it or not.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Felsenthal: very good observations. Your post sounds like you're seeing the "big picture."
I'm still a little immature in the area of women. But, you're right about the drive to "have it all." Lord, there are so many other, more important things. If we still have our health, we have to thank God. If you have a dog that's that good, thank Him again. May He continue to bless you, Felsenthal - & all of us who have things for which we should be thankful. Nice post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.