Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah I hunt In the south-central part of Oklahoma. I have only hunted for about 2 years now. I am kinda learning how to use a duck call. I mainly hunt farm ponds. I did pretty well this year. I never shot a limit but I am only 15 so i am not able to go whenever I want. I'm not the greatest caller but i can shoot pretty good. How did you do this year?[/b]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey man good to hear from a fellow okie in here we do a lot of hunting on farm ponds around pryor and had a lot of success we hunt a little on the lakes around here and did ok on them but i have accumulated a lot more deeks and i think the lakes will be a lot more productive next year, we killed a ton of woodies on small creeks this year too

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey what all kinds of ducks do you hunt? What is your favorite to hunt? I have a couple dozen G&H mallar decoys. I hunt mallards. But if it is slow i will shoot just about anything that flies. Do you goose hunt?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woodies are my favorite but my hunting partner who is my brother likes to shoot mallards like everyone else in the world. but to tell you the truth what i like most about duck hunting is my dog. she will do it all from doves to canadian geese and working with her and watching her work is where i get the most enjoyment. we are looking into getting a better boat to hunt lakes more efficiently and by next season we will have a better one than we did this year

·
Registered
138 Posts
Slaughtered the snows and canadas this year out in west central OK., ducks were a little thinner than in years past. Tell you though, the mallards we did get though were certainly healthy, good and fat. Tons of gadwalls ,too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ringnecks ? Where were you hunting ? I haven't seen significant numbers of 'necks in awhile. Actually saw more cans this year than in years past for all the good that did me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Went out for the first time this year. My dad and I went to my grandparents place down by the pan handle and shot 3 mallards and a green wing teal. Then got 2 more late season mallards down around Muskogee on a frozen fishing pond. Can't wait till next season!

·
Registered
696 Posts
i have a lot of access to land in northwestern oklahoma around hennessey, thats between kingfisher, and bison, you can miss it pretty easy, if you do a little bit of scouting, which i do a lot of, because my grandfather is a contract pumper on oilwells, you can see where the ducks and geese go, ihave a few good spots, and now that i have gotten all of my decoys, i should have a good season this year, i also hunt around prague and stroud oklahoma where i have other grandparents, i hunt on their 2 ponds, 1 is actually their neighbors, but i have access to it, it is slowly turning into a flooded timber/swamp from the beavers, there are dams all over it, i dont know if i should hunt the big body of water or the little watering hole back in the woods, theres always a shidepoke down in there though, so it brings in the ducks, we also know a man who owns land on the north canadian river by prague, and runs off into a little slough where we always see a bunch of green heads, wellthats my story

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
My dad has connections from work, early in the season we do some puddle hunting down in tuttle, where we have mallards, gadwalls, redheads, ruddys, ringnecks, ext. THen later in the season we do diver hunting we got one spot with shovelers, green wing teal, mallards, pintail, widgeon, and woodies.

I did pretty good considiring i got my limit on my third duck hunt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts