Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this thread by saying I have used and owned several one-man boats including the Aquapod, Puddler, and various canoes / kayaks. I just purchased a used Phantom (by Otter Outdoors) for $250. This is now my #1 "go to" boat. It tracks extremely well and is surprisingly stable even though it has only a 32" beam. I am not really promoting this product (well maybe a little :smile: ), I am just anxious to use the boat in the field. Anybody else use a similar one-man style boat? At 55lbs this thing will get me to places I would never have even thought about going before.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sounds like you got yourself a nice boat!

I looked at those kind of boats for years and years, but can never talk myself into buying one because there are so few places to use them in around here. I figure if I buy anything I'll get a canoe. I can duck hunt out of it in the winter and then canoe the smallmouth rivers around here during the summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
greenheader said:
How many pounds can the phantom boat haul, Is it low profile? I need a boat that is light and can haul about 2 doz dekes and that I can pull through the cattails.
Boat capacity is about 390lbs.....plenty for one person and a couple dozen decoys. Low profile....yes. It sits about 5-6" above the water.

ol' yeller said:
Sounds like you got yourself a nice boat!
Thanks. I finished the blind this weekend. Used a 20' piece of raffia grass mounted to plastic fence (a much better alternative to chicken wire). I added a clip on each end attached to the handles. It rolls up and folds down is seconds and takes about as long to attach to the boat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a lot to be said about a one man boat, especially when small and light and can go anywhere (weather and water conditions permitting). I'll take pictures and post soon of a boat I just finished. It started out life as a Sunfish Sailboat but has changed to a more noble and glorious purpose of duck-goose hunting. Way too heavy for one man to cartop or ride on my pickup's ladder rack like my canoe, it really works best with a small trailer (current project) due to size and weight. It's 14 long and has a 44"beam so it is incredibly stable. It works well with a kayak paddle or even better with a 30 LB thrust Min-Kota with Helms-Mate control extension . I cut out a center cockpit; approximately 7 1/2 feet long and width varies between 24-29". More than enough room to take a child or dog and several dozen deeks and comfortable layout when all covered with artillery netting.
It's one of those "you have to see it to belive it" things. I will post pics soon, I'm trying to schedule some of the guys from the job to get some good boat to boat shots of my duckboat in action next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.