Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the airport wife my wife. We were waiting for her daughters plane to come in from Detroit. It was delayed, go figure. There were families waiting for loved ones and everybody was getting impatient since the tards at the airport could not figure out how to tell us what was taking so long, or give us any flight info. I am way passed hungry and irritated. And if you guys are like me, that's a bad combination. I noticed a woman with two youngsters. The oldest of the two kids was maybe four or five. A plane finally lands. I hear the little girl ask her Mom if that was "daddy's plane." "I hope so honey" her Mom replied. Passengers started to file into the terminal. I could see the anticipation on their faces, the little blond headed girl pulls out a poster board about as big as she was.

The sign she held said; "Welcome home daddy, Our Hero." Then I see one of our finest walking towards them in his desert camo. I'm am doing my best to not get "choked up." The smiles that family showed were nothing but pure love. That soldier stood in front of his daughter as she proudly held that sign, that little girl looking up at her Dad motionless. He just smiled at her and said, "Can I have a hug?'' That little girl tossed that sign across the room and jumped into her Dad's arms. Game over, it got me. I looked at my wife and she is wiping tears from her eyes.

I gave the solider a few minutes and walked up to him and said welcome home, and thank you. I shook his hand and left him be. I figured they would beat feet outta that stupid airport and go home. They didn't. They seemed to be happy and sit there for a while and enjoy the company of each other. He must have not had much time to get his little girl a present, because he gave he a little, clear backpack with a flight attendant doll in it. I didn't matter, and why should it. She said; "I want to put my backpack on like daddy." This is killing me.

Sometimes we all forget how good we have it. I'm all pissed off about a plane that is late. Then I see something that triggers that little voice in my head that says "shut up." I think I need to listen to that little voice more often. Well, that lasted until I got stuck behind somebody that thought 45 mph meant 25 mph on the way home from the airport. Then the big voice took back over. The big voice says words I can't say in here.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Well said Snafu......

I get the same way too........ God Bless our Vets; current and past!

And on a less serious note..... I too sometimes overthrow that little voice too! :toofunny:
-Stouff

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Snafu518 said:
I gave the solider a few minutes and walked up to him and said welcome home, and thank you. I shook his hand and left him be.
What a far cry that is from 35 years ago when some literally spit on returning Sericemen at airports. :eek: And Service people that went off base had to change into civies before they left the base or otherwise in all likelyhood they would be chastized. Even then, the clean cut hair style was a give away when the civies were wearing long hair. There is a whole generation of Servicemen that generally hide the fact that they served in Viet Nam for justified fear of ridicule and harasssment from US citizens. So next time you happen to see/recognize an older Vet, just say thank you for serving our country, as many have never have heard that. But please only do it if your sincerely feel that way, as they can see through BS faster than the speed of light. But I know they do appreciate it when you sincerely say a thank you. Nothing will remove the emotional scars from some citizens actions towards them from years ago, but maybe we can help heal the emotional wounds a bit today and tomorow by a sincere 'thank you'. Better late than never.

Some say todays generation has changed. Maybe for the better in some ways if based on what Snafu did is an indication of the new generation in America. :thumbsup:

The biggest change I've seen is how we treat our returning Service people, yes we still disagree as a nation on where/when the wars should be fought, but at least most of us as a nation, we recognize that the Service people are just doing their job, and are welcoming them home. :thumbsup:

I'll get off the soapbox now.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was in the Atlanta airport this past Thanksgiving week waiting for a friend to arrive from Florida. As usual during a holiday week, the flight was delayed and I stood around waiting for her and watching people pour off the escalators from the tram for almost an hour. I was staring at the screen that showed all the arriving flights when I heard everyone around me clapping (I'm standing in a crowd of at least 200+ people). I tried to see what was going on -- I figured it had to be a celebrity or something -- but I didn't see anything. About five minutes later, the next wave of people poured off the escalators and I spotted a pair of servicemen in desert fatigues. The whole crowd burst into applause again, applause that followed these men like a wave all the way to baggage claim. Now I know I am a chick and all, but I had tears streaming down my face. This happened every single time a service member in uniform came off that escalator until my friend showed up, and I am sure for long after we had left. It wasn't so much the clapping that got me (and believe me, I was clapping like a fool), but the looks on those men's faces when they realized that we were clapping for them. It just killed me, and I cried every time I saw their faces light up. I was so glad to know that they knew we appreciated them.

Do y'all remember the Superbowl commercial that Budweiser did with the same thing -- people clapping for soldiers in an airport? They only aired it one time, so if you didn't see it then, you missed it altogether. It was just like that.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
ya admin, i like studieng war and military history and ive heard of nam vets bieng spit on, bad thing. and yes that comercial is awsome!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I do post good things even if your twisted mind distorts them. I have seen and talked to people coming back from the mideast, and it's a wonderful thing. I thank them for serving our country, even if they don't believe we should be fighting. I can't say I've ever seen anyone happier than those soldiers. I too wish they could all come home right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.