Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a flock of scaup pitch in this season and one of the birds wings were painted florescent orange. I don't know if he was banded or not
I missed. Has anybody else seen anything like this. Maybe it's some secret reg there working on , all ducks must wear hunter orange next season.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
olddkguide said:
I had a flock of scaup pitch in this season and one of the birds wings were painted florescent orange. I don't know if he was banded or not
I missed. Has anybody else seen anything like this. Maybe it's some secret reg there working on , all ducks must wear hunter orange next season.
Biologists sometimes color-mark a bird so that they can distinguish it from other ducks and observe its behavior from a distance.

Here is a example reference:

Color-marked Ducks

Susan Heath been color marking Ring-necked Ducks, Black Ducks, and Bufflehead on the Virginia Piedmont this winter as part of her thesis research. She received notification from the BBL that one of her marked Ring-necked Ducks was seen on January 15 near Crownsville, MD and has asked if there have been any other sightings in Maryland. The ducks are dyed with red dye which makes them appear pink. It is obvious on male Ring-necked Ducks and both sexes of Bufflehead, a little less obvious on female Ring-necks and Black Ducks. The dye wears off in a few months or is lost when the ducks molt ,so they don't stay pink forever. If you have seen any of these ducks, please notify Susan Heath, [email protected].

·
Registered
185 Posts
Had something similar happen to me, except it was a teal. It was early season teal and a flock of teals came circling in but land way outside of my spread. They land on the water and low and behold, I see an odd colored (white head) teal with the flock. Was gonna wait for them to swim by but nope, some kid shows up out of nowhere on the other side of the pond and swatted the whole flock and managed to hit 3 (limit 4) and ruined the day. The white one managed to live another day tho. I think it has my name on it. lol.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
HunterX said:
Had something similar happen to me, except it was a teal. It was early season teal and a flock of teals came circling in but land way outside of my spread. They land on the water and low and behold, I see an odd colored (white head) teal with the flock. Was gonna wait for them to swim by but nope, some kid shows up out of nowhere on the other side of the pond and swatted the whole flock and managed to hit 3 (limit 4) and ruined the day. The white one managed to live another day tho. I think it has my name on it. lol.
That white-headed teal sounds like a mutant. Maybe you'll get it next year. That would be cool. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have seen birds here in Oregon that people have shot with paintballs. Green, yellow, blue, red, etc. Dumb kids screwing around. :sad:

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
dckkllr said:
I have seen birds here in Oregon that people have shot with paintballs. Green, yellow, blue, red, etc. Dumb kids screwing around. :sad:
Sounds like you should have easy time killing them if someone can shoot them with a paintball gun...

+ paint is water solvable..

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I like a scaup of vanilla with my scaup of orange and its like a creamsicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.