Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting refuges (state and federal) and am fed up with the availability, people, and just all in all the lack of a good hunt instead of a trip to calling contest, and or distance shot contest. Where are some remote hunting grounds that don't cost a buck.(Lately I travel to Umatilla area, but the weathers a craps shoot)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey slim, have you heard of the lewis and clark refuge? its my favorite place to hunt in the state even on opening day its not too crowded theres plenty of room for everyone. I am actually from silverton wich is a bout 15 minutes outside salem we should meet up for a hunt this season, i can take you to some good private places i got permission on , best of luck- caleb.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i feel your pain my brother .........do u have a boat / thers a ton of really great hunting around , you can hit the willamette anywhere from eugene to wilsonville, the columbia has tons of places to put ou a spread......i do most of my hunting on the columbia .....luck to ya :mrgreen: jmike

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey guys...

Good to see some Oregon boys representing. One thing I want to talk about is this public hunting thing. Everyone I talk to is so busted up about public hunting because of various, obvious reasons. Well I hunt everywhere I can...private and public. Public land has provided me with so many great hunts. Last year alone I hunted mudhen, on the east side of Sauvie Island 3 times in the first month of the season and we killed 17...19...and 12 ducks respectivly. And the twelve duck day was with two shooters. Now where else can you find superb hunting like that. Now don't get me wrong, I would much rather hunt my private flooded fields deep in the dec. and jan. migrations, but If you don't mind somebody skybusting at few ducks when a mallard is cupped and comin'...and you are willing to put up with some picky rules and regulations, there are still some quality hunts to be had at some of these public refuges.

Throughout the year...if you decide to go to some of the public hunt areas (Umatilla..Sauvies..Fern Ridge...etc) and are curious about what blinds are the best or what units to apply for, or just simply where to go on roam units, I can lead you in the right direction...just drop me a line over this chat page and i will help you out. Most times location is everything...Go to where the birds want to be and your success will increase tenfold.

Thanks guys and I am looking forward to the season.

·
Registered
44 Posts
kewl there is some Oregon boys in here!
where are you all heading for opener?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm heading on the 9th to Summer Lake with a crew of 4 hunters. Never been down for the opener but I'm sure it will be a zoo. THe on the second opener (the 16th) I may hunt the Columbia and I may hunt the Coast...It is yet to be determined. I also have a few early season local secrets that may come into play. I can't wait till the day comes though that is for sure. What about yourself, you got it figured out yet?

JB

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also will be at summer for the opener.....yep it will be a zoo but after saturdayaftrenoon it clears out a little from 700 to 400 hunters...LOL

Its mostly pass shooting for the most part....you will think your all buy your self and then when the BIG RED LIGHT COMES ON you find out that your surrounded buy other hunters in all directions......the water is low so it will be interesting at the least

newbiewaterfowler

why would ya want to go the second weekend???......when you can have another opener in the other zone?

·
Registered
44 Posts
it can be good(depending what the bird count is) its just with less hunters the birds dont get pushed around much and its a huge place so they can set down in many areas for the day.......like every thing else its just a gambling :thumbsup: ...Im sure you guys will do just fine.....cabin???.....theres a few camping areas on the premises...if ya got a self contained trailer or camper...or a tent....but there is only one camping area that has grass the rest is gravel last time i was there

beside opening day theres a DU BANQUET over at the Barn!

·
Registered
345 Posts
for available land, check this out. EE Wilson gets good after the pheasant hunters are done. For most of the greenways, you need to pull up a mapquest and really look for ways to get access. Good luck and let me know if anyone wants to hunt during the week. Weekends are out since I work for Habitat for Humanity. Have a great season.
John

here is the link

http://www.prd.state.or.us/images/pdf/w ... _guide.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
i hunt fern ridge very often but this year they have flooded the ponds that are located in the fisher butte unit i would like to know where is a good place to hunt on those ponds.i have gotten only about five birds out of 5 trips. thanks scott

·
Registered
116 Posts
Go down the royal to the end thats royal amazon unit walk out and the pond on your left right before you hit the lake is a pretty good spot or straight across the parking lot from the sign in boothe theres a pond that gets alot of action but its fairly deep and you have to get there early,early pretty much any spot out there works you have to beat the crowd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
EE wilson does have decent spots although it is offten crowded. I have found that the river provieds the best options for duck hunting, lots of sloughs and ponds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
this message is for jon i would like to know where some good spots at fern ridge are so if you could let me know excatly where and what dike to walk i would greatly enjoy the advise. thanks scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts