Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i have heard of this thought process with several animals, not just ducks. it isn't all that far fetched. after all, mathmatically speaking, there is a finite amount of resources availabe. i don't thing we are really "there" yet where ducks (as a whole) are competing for food, etc. sure they are in some though.

imo, limits and # of days are still the best way to manage populations right now. it doesn't mean it's going to stay that way though...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i have heard of this theory when it comes to the managing big game animals. i haven't (until now) heard it applied to the managing of waterfowl.

first, great post SC. this is a fine example of Enviros using any means necessary to impact our traditions, sport, hobby, and right to use public lands.

second, you will notice the classic wide spread use of "non-specific" statistics that make this article seem credible. the author cites a huge decline in the wintering population in one specific sub-locale inside of one flyway and then spins it off to sound like the entire migrating population is in dire straights. you will also notice a few slights towards the current managing body. the implication that the current biologists are morons is a heavy undertone of this entire article.

third, i love the way it starts...a classic sales pitch. you get the reader to buy into the program by stating facts that will be readily agreed with. as a former sales trainer i used to teach my sales people to, "ask questions to elicit a response that you want to hear.". this article's first few paragraphs are a wonderful example of that. he would make a wonderful used car salesman.

finally, the author acknowledges the TRUE reason for the recorded declines in recent years. i am sure that he would have liked to omit this entirely from his article. however, if he did then he would have no credibility at all and it would end up in the trash heap where it probably belongs to begin with. the point i am referring to is the decline in nesting and wintering habitat caused by changing weather patterns that either keep birds farther north (warmer weather translates to a reduced need to travel farther south) or drier trends that send birds elsewhere in search of good habitat.

my suggestion to the author would be to quit spending your time researching ways to infringe upon other people's rights, get off your corporate butt, and get out into the marsh and help build a better habitat for wild waterfowl. that's what we as hunters do. if you need suggestions on a good place to start, try looking up your local Ducks Unlimited or Delta Waterfowl chapter, get involved and become part of the solution. articles like this are only another part of the problem.

now, that being said. i would, of course, support a reduction in bag limits if in fact the overall popultion of waterfowl supports such an action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.