Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion as to the best coat to buy for the upcoming season? Last year was my first year of duck hunting and I am addicted. I borrowed everything last year becuase I didn't know if I wanted to make an investment into something I didn't like. I was wrong! So now I'm shopping around for the best coat. Last year I looked like the Michelin man but I was warm. All the guys had a good laugh at me ROLLING in and out of the boat. I would prefer the clothing for this year, to be warm and functional! Keep in mind, I freeze! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have a Herters 3-in-1 coat that is as warm as I could want and the liner zips out. I bought a fleece hooded jacket to pair with it for cool/not to cold and /or wet conditions. All in all it cost me around 100 bucks. (the herters coat is normally about 100 dollars but I had a cabelas coupon. The fleece was $30.

From waht I gather, you will be hunting out of a boat this year? If thats the case a wading jacket is not important. Think about what you want: Shell holders (my herters has it), waterproof, room for layering, a hood for nasty days...etc.

Whats your price range? you can go all out if you can fork over the dough, but you can do very well on a tight budget too.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I hunt Cali and I'll start the season in the North were it gets quite cold and then go to central Cal about mid-season and finsh the year towards the Mexico border. Layering is the way to go for my type of hunting. I use everything from underarmour, to fleece, to a Maddog wading jacket. Keep your head , feet , and hands warm. You should be wearing some sort of life jacket while in the boat

I see that you're a Duck Addicted Chic(as in woman) Will you marry me :laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as my price range, to be honest I would prefer to stay in a tight budget, but I am committed to spending what I need to spend. I never knew that hunting was so damned expensive. Sheeesh! And you are correct Carards, we hunted mostly out of a boat last year, and some stationary blinds. I have my eye on some new waders at Cabellas, there 1600 grams of insulation, but I need a coat. Last year I bought fleece to wear underneath and I was warm but I think the super thick coverals, and the fifty pound parka I wore had something to do with that. I thought about doing under armour and fleece this year but I really need to find a good coat.

Also, thanks for the offer Bullet, but it would never work! You would get mad at me if I bagged more quack then you! :laughing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.