Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions comparing the Stoeger and Spartan over-unders? Chamber size, price, feel, balance, durability? Obviously I'm looking at OUs in the $500 range. I know "you get what you pay for," but I'd like to try an affordable OU before sinking $1000-2500 into a good OU. I also can't see myself with a $1200+ OU in my duck boat.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
As I've noted in the forum before....I am very pleased with the Condor Supreme....traded the 12 I used on waterfowl last season for a 20 a couple months ago.....well balanced in my hands, certainly shot well right out of the box at crows last month......wood is excellent....checkering is shallow though and the exact wood to block fit underneath could be better....bluing is excellent......trigger is crisp....extractors flip the spent shells out a good 6 feet...... overall an outstanding value IMO at $400....as for the Spartan, I believe they are actually Bakails...but not 100% positive of this...in my hands they were more 'blocky' (same for the Traditions which is a Fausti) and I did not feel they were as 'sleek' as the Stoeger......Personally I also appreciate the fact that Stoeger is under the Bennelli umbrella and even thought he gun is produced in Brazil, Stoeger is in Maryland....not that I am whacking at Remington or the manufacturing in Turkey.

I'm with you on the abuse issue....I leave the Citori in the cabinet unless I am in a dry pit.

·
1,456 Posts
Don't have any experience with the Stoeger or the Spartan but since my wife gave me a RRL o/u I've decided that I will always have an o/u.If you decide you want a good o/u for around 1000$ then I highly recommend the Ruger.
Even though mine is the stainless steel version,I only take it on the more "civilized "hunts.Not a bottom of the boat kind of firearm.The fact that the better half gave it to me out of the blue,for no reason,makes it something a bit special also.

I like the fit and feel of my Ruger,I added a slip on recoil pad to adjust it to my length but thats all.Comes up very nice,shoots and ejects flawleesly.

I've talked to a few guys about Stoegers and haven't heard any real complaints as far as performance.Seems like a good gun for the money.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i just took my Stoeger Condor Supreme 20ga out for a round of 100 sporting clays.

i've shot many different shotguns in the last 20 years...autos, pumps, O/U's and SxS's..even a single shot .410 (first gun).

i have not one negative thing to say about the Stoeger. it DID have a problem with the firing pin on the top barrel, but it was just dirty. the guy i got it from had most likely gooped too much oil in there and then let it collect some dust. after about 50 clays i didn't have any more misfire issues.

anyway, can't speak for the remington, but the stoeger is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! :getdown:

btw CAM..you know that Benelli owns stoeger right? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Thanks to this thread sparking my curiosity, I went and got a stoger condor supreme. I got the combo 12-20. The combo doesn't have the selective trigger or the selective ejectors. I took it up the canyon and shot both barrel sets. As far as balance its defiantly an o/u. The 12 bore has 28" barrels and swings through the target nicely. The 20 bore has 26" barrels and is fast to point on the target. I had no problems with switching barrels or firing pin malfunctions. Its not as nice as my citori's or red labels (as in perfect balance and looks) but it defiantly will be going on duck hunts this year. It will also be nice to have one gun to jump shoot ducks off the river and then be able to switch barrels and go chase chuckers with.

By the way my wife is pissed at you guys. She say's if you wouldn't have started this thread I would have never known about these guns and had to have got one. :toofunny:

Sorry its easier to blame some one else. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.