Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Sears Gamefisher 12.5 foot fiberglass boat. It currently has a new paint job of the ugliest bright teal color you can imagine. For some reason, ducks don't like this color so I am trying to cover up the last owner's paint. He used an oil-based paint that apparently was applied and waxed within the last 6 months.

My question is how do I go about producing a long lasting dull (flat) base paint that I can camo with spray paint? One story I get is to wipe it down with acetone, then apply an oil-based flat paint. Another paint guru said that this would not hold on the outside, nor would the spray paint hold on the oil-based paint. Who is telling the story I want to hear?

Any suggestions on application? Rent a commercial sprayer? Please do not tell me to "get a wagner."

Any ideas on a good color to use for base paint while hunting in dark water and light reeds?

Thanks,
Geary

·
1,459 Posts
As long as the paint already on the hull is bonded well all you need to do is sand it to give it a "texture"or rough surface so your paint will stick.
I have the same boat ,12 foot gamefisher,and I painted it 8 years ago with oil based paint and it has held up fine.As far as spray paint not bonding to the boat all I can say is,huh?Maybe if the paints aren't compatable with each other but just use the same base and go from there.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
DogMan makes excellent points...if the paint is already good just wetsand and go from there

I have always preferred and had excellent results form oil based paint....my prefference is Pettit Shipendeck, it comes in quarts (about$18) and they have some great dull flat colors....unfortunately they no longer make duck boat brown, but the dead dull grass and a couple ofer colors are super.

Another good paint I have only used on my coffin is from Krylon...they now have their camo colors in gallons and any local hardware or marine dealer in your area should be able to order it if they work with Sherwin Williams (I am pretty sure they make Krylon).....Hunters Specialties also makes a paint with varied colors.

Also, Parker paints have a decent reputation and Lou Tish at Lock, Stock & Barrel has a full range of FME paints that I have seen reported to be excellent. I may be stuck on the Pettit just because I have had such great results. My next paint jobs will probably be done with the Krylon just because I like the options in colors.

In my opinion a quart brushed on will take care of a 12 footer inside and out...if spraying you may need more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.