Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
what kind of decoys???? species???

also, I have perfect color matches for ext latex at HD, Lowes or Walmart if you are interested (paint names and numbers!)....no need to buy a kit (they are expensive and limited on amount of paint)....a quart of Walmart paint will only be about $5......the detail colors such as the bill and speculum can be the bottled acrylics at Walmart for 88 cents!!! Some primer colors from Rustoleum or Krylon (flat dark and light gray) make excellent base colors for a drake mallard!

These paints will last - even on plastic dekes that are "gang bagged"....and have even longer durability on cork, burlap, or if pocket bagged!

As mentioned...if you are doing plastics....preparation is the KEY element in success.....scrape and/or sand off all chipped areas, power wash and then wipe down w/ acetone.....flash with a hand torch....prime with plastic primer and then paint as desired. Lastly, handle the decoys with plastic/latex gloves so no oils from your hands will interfere with the adhesion of the paints.

There is an excellent video you may wish to view....from TakeEm....called Tailor Painted....it gives all the step by step processes and shows how you can make your out of the box decoys better in attracting ducks ....and they use G&H as examples.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well to late for not buying a kit. Already done it. They are mallard decoys. I was just wondering what the best thing to get them clean and where paint will stick the best, and not take until next season for me to finish them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As mentioned...if you are doing plastics....preparation is the KEY element in success.....scrape and/or sand off all chipped areas, power wash and then wipe down w/ acetone.....flash with a hand torch....prime with plastic primer and then paint as desired.
Read the post above again :smile:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
thanks for the 'boost' WhiteRiver.

Hilton.....I own a couple dozen plastics for walk-ins/kayak/canoe trips when weight is a factor....I re-did them with the exact process as noted and I 'gang bag' them or slide 'em in the kayak.....make sure you allow good curing time and do not hurry between coats or color sections. I had not one chip or flake after using them this season....there were a few 'rubs'/scuffs, but that's all.

Temp for the curing makes a difference too, I believe...so don't do in 40* and expect excellent adhesion.....the temp should be at least 60*...probably 75* is best....and I do not put them out in the sun to 'bake'....that will not help!

·
Registered
537 Posts
sorry to bump an old thread but, i need some help with matching colors i'm in the process of painting some herters bodies and heads. DUKHTR can you help me match some colors for cans redheads and ringnecks??

DUKHTR said:
what kind of decoys???? species??

also, I have perfect color matches for ext latex at HD, Lowes or Walmart if you are interested (paint names and numbers!)....no need to buy a kit (they are expensive and limited on amount of paint)....a quart of Walmart paint will only be about $5......the detail colors such as the bill and speculum can be the bottled acrylics at Walmart for 88 cents!!! Some primer colors from Rustoleum or Krylon (flat dark and light gray) make excellent base colors for a drake mallard!

These paints will last - even on plastic dekes that are "gang bagged"....and have even longer durability on cork, burlap, or if pocket bagged!

As mentioned...if you are doing plastics....preparation is the KEY element in success.....scrape and/or sand off all chipped areas, power wash and then wipe down w/ acetone.....flash with a hand torch....prime with plastic primer and then paint as desired. Lastly, handle the decoys with plastic/latex gloves so no oils from your hands will interfere with the adhesion of the paints.

There is an excellent video you may wish to view....from TakeEm....called Tailor Painted....it gives all the step by step processes and shows how you can make your out of the box decoys better in attracting ducks ....and they use G&H as examples.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
For the redheads and ringnecks that I have made, I mixed my own acrylics........with mounts as reference. I do not have a canvasback mounted, but I would probably start with the redhead's 'mix' and shade down accordingly.I start with burgundy, adding in burnt sienna and black.

Just a suggestion.........do a search on "picsearch"......they have a bunch of reference photos of each species, print on a good printer and take the photos to the hardware or Walmart and match to their color chips. As for irredescent colorations, the only way is to float in acrylics or oils with the appropriate mediums.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hiltonmember!! It might be too late for buying the paint, but you should take a sample of all the colours you got in the kit and next time you need paint go to your local paint store and get them to match the colour in the best exterior latex they have. 5 times the amount of paint for 1/2 the price. If the entire decoy needs paint follow previous advise. If they only need touching up then wire brush, rinse, let dry and paint. Give the paint the full amount of drying time before proceeding.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Because I am not a great artist, nor have perfect color definition I use herters decoy paints but I still do a little mixing to get the desired results. Mallard hens are the hardest to get right for me. The drakes are pretty easy as long you can get bill and head colors right. Because I do not have 10 dozen ducks to paint the paint kits work out pretty well if your not a real good artist. But as you paint more decoys you get better at it. There are some out there that can make the decoys look like real birds but I am not that good yet.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Actually, by taking having a model either another decoy or something to use as a guideline mine have turned out very well. The head color has always had me perplexed with mallard drakes as well as the chest color but I like the colors for those parts supplied by kits. But I only actually buy the colors needed and use other mixtures for places that require flat browns or greys.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
:thumbsup: :salude: I gotta learn how to carve my own decoys sometime too...as long as the house needs work sometimes my projects take back burner...but I have actually carved a few decoys and though not bad I wouldn't put them in my spread yet :laughing:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I'm not an artist, but I actually enjoy painting my decoys while day dreaming about all the extra mallards I'm going to shoot because they look so good. It's not so much that the paint is wearing off in places, it's that shiny plastic underneath the paint that gets exposed and shines like diamonds on a bright day. It's not as hard as you think, heres a few tips that might help. Paint one complete decoy from start to finish, that way you won't make the same mistake more than once. Don't get too much paint on the brush, most of the painting will be dry brushed which means you wipe most of the paint off your brush after dipping on a news paper. Don't fool with the spectrums on the drakes, when real mallards are on the water the speculum isn't visible any way, and they will look better without . On the heads of the drakes after you paint them with the green they give you in the kits, before the green paint dries , dry brush some flat black into the green. Dig in and get er done, it's not as hard as your thinkin!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.