Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
We went out there early teal season and got ate my huge mosquitoes
and out of six of us we got one green wing but I heard that its got some pin tales and mallards now

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
been thinking about hunting there this weekend, are there any birds there? I've heard it gets kind of rough, will I be ok in my 12 foot jon boat? :help:

·
Registered
72 Posts
You should be fine, just remember the coot decoys and blow a goose call.....alot. Dont bother working the birds in close, no one else does either. Be sure to say hey to the guys/gals going into the impoundment.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I think I'll pick up some 3.5 inch black cloud. The duck commander shoots them and he makes it rain from way up high. I think I should be able to shoot the ducks before they get inside the impoundments.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
trigger22 said:
Ok thanks for the info. I think I'll pick up some 3.5 inch black cloud. The duck commander shoots them and he makes it rain from way up high. I think I should be able to shoot the ducks before they get inside the impoundments.
duck commander shoots 3"- #3's, you can't miss them, they have his picture on the box. get a blackcloud choke tube, IC and you will be a deadly force

·
Registered
556 Posts
Its way better to shoot 3.5" shells with a XXXXfull choke. And forget sitting in the impound even if you have a draw. If you set up on the edge you can kill all the birds long before all the idiots who actually sit inside the impound! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Forget the 12 ft jon,just paddle over in the canoe.Be sure to shoot the first loon that flies over the dike,they are fine eating :beer:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You got that right. Ain't nothin like a Harkers Island turkey.

·
Registered
43 Posts
harkers island turkey,thats a good one .my grandpas friend use call him and to say ''their comin your way 2 light poles high'' the ol man would eat em but i just couldnt aquire the taste for them. :lol3:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Speaking of mallards, I heard union point in New Bern was a good place to hunt for them. The guy that told me suggested that I wear my running shoes if I decided to hunt there. I've never duck hunted in tennis shoes before, why would I want to do that? Won't my feet get wet?

·
Registered
773 Posts
trigger22 said:
Speaking of mallards, I heard union point in New Bern was a good place to hunt for them. The guy that told me suggested that I wear my running shoes if I decided to hunt there. I've never duck hunted in tennis shoes before, why would I want to do that? Won't my feet get wet?
Thats what I call a "tennis shoe hunt". I knew several guys who used to raise and release tamie mallards and shoot them in their tennis shoes before work. Real sportsmen! :no:

·
Registered
72 Posts
trigger22 said:
Just get some old school reebok pumps, then if you start to sink you can just pump them up for more bouyancy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love this forum! If I get back to NC I am going to bring my Sears Gamefisher plastic boat and try out them impoundments where they have pin tales.

Actually just read book that has chapter on big time community wide Loon hunts that went on in NC every year on outer banks. They ate them and sold the wing bones for fishing lures.

Don't forget the face paint!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Trig we use to shootem pretty good over where the landfill is at lawsons creek 30 years ago,but now you would probally have to have your runnin shoes on !!!! :lol3: And Im to damn old to do much runnin now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts