Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there ever used these, are the worth the money. i am looking for a good aftermarket choke that will throw a tight pattern. any suggestions

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any of the chokes can help, but I'm not sold that they work great for all guns.

I'm sold that "tapering" the choke isn't the best route, but to keep the same diameter all the way through. I've had my best luck with a custom choke maker out of Fargo, ND.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got one on my sbe and I had a cheap one on there first, much better now, I'd say they are worth the money, I can tell the difference for sure, the difference from a duck either flying off, fluttering down, or looking like there instantly dead. much better on clay's too, unless I just improved allot when I put it on.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I shoot a Franchi 912 with a patternmaster. The bigger you go on shot the tighter it will get. I use my patternmaster on ducks and geese. I will shoot 3" number 4's at ducks out to 50 yards or so and ill shot 3.5" BB's at geese and it is downright deadly out to 70 yards or so. They are well worth the money!!!

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Every gun and choke patterns differently. Large shot may not pattern as well as smaller shot or vice a versa. I have several aftermarket chokes for my shotguns but that was because I did not believe that the standard chokes that came with my shotguns gave me enough options. So the chokes I purchased were different constrictions. But if you do purchase one and pattern it do not be disappointed if the results are not exactly as you think they should. Keep tying different ammo until the desired results are obtained. Use the pattern board.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love my patternmaster. Custom sliced wads produce 85% patterns at 40 yards with #2's at 1500 fps and 90% patterns with the BBB's in the 30in circle of course.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a patternmaster on my nova and it worked great except with fast steel. Don't ask me why but i couldn;t hit anythign with the fast stuff, but the slower steel was deadly. I now have a SBE2 and sold the patternmaster cause it wouldn't switch over and bought a .675 terror. I haven't gottten to test it out yet but have not heard on bad thing about them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Timmey9,

Do you shoot steel through that .675? The smallest constriction with the best patterns for me have been with a .710(LM) shooting #2 steel, just curious what shells your shooting, that's gotta be a real tight pattern. I've never tried anything but steel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys,

When you are talking about shooting a patternmaster, is this designated as a full choke? I have always read that a lead modified choke is equal to full choke shooting steel. Is the patternmaster tighter than this?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Pintail, there are different ranges of patternmasters available. You can get it in extended range, or over the decoys range. Im not sure, but i think that they might have a medium range now too. I shoot the extended range at ducks in open areas with 3" number 3's. If we are going to get close shots (15-30) yards, such as hunting timber, than i will put in an IC. :hammering:

Works well for me and i think that patternasters well worth the money!! :yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts