Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey do alot of hunting up near newport and would like to bag some more ducks

would like to know from you guys that have hunted it, what your decoy mix includes

I have lots of geese, but only about 15 mallards dekes.

was thinking of picking up some different species but note sure what?

any thoughts? :help:

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is on the pend oreille. It's about 1/3 of our spread...as you can see we have mallards, pintails and widgeon. We also put out canvasbacks and 1 drake bufflehead...and lots of geese.

I'll admit, I just sorta like this picture even though our spread kinda looks crappy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow only a third huh?!!

thats alotta dekes

when you set em up do you have the ducks off to one side or do you mix em all upwith the geese.

all season long we ran em seperate and didn't have any luck with the ducks. we did it that way becuase
I heard a rumor that geese don't fly over ducks and and vise versa.
seems like B.S. to me as half the time the geese landed in the ducks short of the goose decoys
but the guy who told me was a seasoned hunter so i took his word to the bank

our usual spread was sort of like
two j patterns side by side so with about 30 ft in between them
(sorry no pics)
Any tips on that?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Carbenz and I are believers in the more the merrier as far as duck dekes go - most days we put out between 7 and 12 dozen ducks and 2-4 dozen geese. Besides...it looks sweet!

We've almost always kept the ducks and geese separate. I believe that it is more for the benefit of goose hunting as I have never had problems with ducks flaring off of goose dekes. We do try to keep the duck species grouped together as we have noticed that pins tend to land with pins, widgeon with widgeon, etc.

Carbenz likes a big mass of decoys. I prefer a J hook with bright divers (cans, buffs etc.) on the farthest out end, or a nice tight U shape, but over all we tend to try to mimick the ducks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks for the insight guys!

Is there a brand of deke that you guys prefer.
I know there is alot of love out there for the Avery stuff
and it seems to be on everyone's top list.

what about size?
hot buys?
lifesize?
Magnum?

Or is it best to mix em up?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
here's my normal spread for the river. i'm a BIG fan of the diver line for late season. the divers and wigeon love it.

we use GHG dekes for the most part because they just look great. as far as everything else, we tend to use more mallards and teal in the early season then in the late season we go to wigeon and divers (bluebill, bufflehead, and redheads).

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
that one is my FA SUB with the showercurtain snow cover. i now have a GHG groundforce i use with a real snow cover. much easier to set up, and the cover is pretty high quality. a lot more than i can say for FA's super cheaply made cover that cost the same amount, but is junk. hence why i used a $10 showercurtain instead.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the resourcefulness... my kind of hunting.

i tried to make my own layout blind out of broom sticks and white hefty bags for the snow..

needless to say I wont be trying that again!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
jjohnson,

I have a Final Approach SUB on which I use an Avery Finisher Snow Cover. This was the recommendation of the place where I bought it.

Aftershox, the biggest favor you can do for yourself in hunting the banks of the PO and eastern WA lakes and rivers is to get a layout blind. I have found some of the best deals are always found at Rogers Sporting Goods in MO. Look them up on the internet.

Also, when I was at Cabelas in Post Falls last week they were having a big blowout on Avery Finisher and Power Hunter blinds. Sometimes you can even find them in the Bargain Cave.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carbenz or quackerwacker.
you guys put out a ton of dekes and from what i can tell from your tallies it works,
the question i have is how do you get that many dekes to where you hunt?
huge boat? teleporting? how!?!?!?

and if it is a huge boat where do you launch it at?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Funny you say that cause although we had some good days, I felt like our totals weren't that great.

As for the dekes...we do haul a ton in the boat and it can get pretty crowded with 2-3 guys and the dog (my boat is a 16' tracker). You just have to get creative with how you pile them in and have storage for your other gear.

We've been known to hike in several dozen too by making a few trips or using a decoy cart.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you mostly hunt on the river, or do you head other places.

I hunted there all year and saw only a few mallards. other wise it was all geese.

I think Grabbed about 9 geese 0 mallards and 1 merganzer that was it so yeah your numbers are impressive.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you guys on the river.
I'm only about a mile or two downriver from newport.
and geese are the most prolific thing, and i really want to get some duck

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
aftershox,

To answer some of your earlier questions about dekes, I use GHG decoys. I have mallards, widgeon, GWT, bluebills, goldeneyes, redheads. I like the GHG decoys because they seem to be readily available and I think they look good. I don't think the paint holds particularly well unless you baby them. In my case, I bit the bullet and bought 12 slot decoy bags instead of throwing them all together in a big bag. I also do not wrap decoy weights around the heads of these dekes. A benefit of having dekes in separate bags by species or type (puddler or diver) is that I can grab different bags for different spots, days, and expectations of the kind of birds I will encounter.

I used to have G&H mallard dekes. I still have their goose floaters. I think a G&H decoy holds it's paint better than any other, but you really pay for that.

I also have bit the bullet and now my decoys all have Ace Anchors. They are spendy, but easy to use and there is no paint damage from wrapping strap weights around the necks of your decoys. Setting up with the bags and Ace Anchors has been an expensive proposition but I am now (thankfully) done and I will not have to do it again, nor will I have to touch-up paint on dekes as frequently. I figured if I spent money on bags and anchors I would not be spending on replacement decoys every few years.

As far as hauling my decoys, I am a boat hunter. Have been there and done that on walk-ins. I run large boats (18 footers) and we run up and down the PO River and other North Idaho waterways. I have a boat blind, but we have more success hunting out of layout blinds. Two guys, a dog (or two) and all those dekes and layouts still doesn't fill up an 18' boat. It only starts to get crowded when you add a combo of 24 or more goose floaters / fullbodies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.