Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Most don't cover breed specific diseases, which can include hip dysplasia, certain cancers, etc. depending on the breed. Make sure you get a complete list of what is covered and not convered for your breed of dog before you think about buying it. Also, there are limits to the amount they will cover. I had purchased it years ago for a puppy I got when I was in vet school. He developed a strangulated loop of small intestine and his surgery and recovery cost $2000, which after maxing out the insurance cost me $500. The way the company that I used worked (and I think most are still this way) was that I paid up front and then submitted the bill for reimbursement. I didn't renew the insurance the following year; I felt like I had won in Las Vegas and wanted to walk out ahead.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I think you would be better off taking the amount you would pay for premiums and putting it in a high yield savings account. Save that money for when pup goes to the vet, and make cash on the interest. From what I can tell pet insurance is a scam. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided not to get the insurance myself yesterday evening. If something major was to come up i will probably find away to get the money. Thanks to everyone! :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I agree w/ your decision - "IF" your/my dawg was champion and above I'd recommend it - but then we wouldn't be questioning spending a few hundred a year if we owned the BIG DAWGS huh/eh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.