Duck Hunting Forum banner
1181 - 1191 of 1191 Posts

·
Administrator
43,079 Posts
I honestly do not understand the need to scratch off something to reveal the PIN. Just leave it uncovered. It is on the card anyway, so what good is the PIN? If I steal your gift card, I still have that PIN.

If the PIN appeared on the receipt when you bought the card, that makes some sense, but maybe great minds devised something I simply do not understand.

I am surprised though as I have always been impressed with Home Depot's customer care when buying or returning something. Now, finding someone to help you with cabinets, carpeting or anything other than screws or bug spray, and you are toast.
They lost me to Lowe's a few years ago when I realized most of their inventory was cheap, stuff. I couldn't find stainless nuts and bolts for marine use and anything close was junk. Too many generic, typical, homeowner products that are "value-based" rather than quality. Stopped in again the other day for stain to re-do a couple Adirondack chairs and all the stain and pre-stain was some private label I've never heard of. Learned that is usually a big mistake.

But Lowe's has caught up on junk too so...world's gone to h.e.l.l. :mad:

·
Registered
12,447 Posts
I honestly do not understand the need to scratch off something to reveal the PIN. Just leave it uncovered. It is on the card anyway, so what good is the PIN? If I steal your gift card, I still have that PIN.

If the PIN appeared on the receipt when you bought the card, that makes some sense, but maybe great minds devised something I simply do not understand.

I am surprised though as I have always been impressed with Home Depot's customer care when buying or returning something. Now, finding someone to help you with cabinets, carpeting or anything other than screws or bug spray, and you are toast.
I've never had any issues returning an item to home depot and I've purchased quite a few tools from there over the years that I've loved (miter saw, cordless drills, impact drivers, nail guns, sawzall, etc), but the gift card thing seems like a big scam. Companies love selling gift cards in hopes that they get lost, don't get used or in my case, get ruined. I'd love to know what amount of funds home depot generates in gift cards that never get used. I'd imagine it is a staggering figure. I agree with you about the card number and pin on the back being silly. If someone steals a card from the store, it won't work. It has to be activated by the cashier at the time of purchase. Anyway, what a cluster! I may just as well have crinkled up 5 Benjamins and flushed em down the crapper.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Companies love selling gift cards in hopes that they get lost, don't get used or in my case, get ruined. I'd love to know what amount of funds home depot generates in gift cards that never get used. I'd imagine it is a staggering figure.
A while back I heard a generic quote that 50% of gift cards go unspent. It wouldn't shock me if that was in the ballpark, especially for the more niche stores.

Many have expiration dates as well.

I agree they are definitely making big profit on unused gift cards. It definitely seems like an element of scam in the huge promotion of gift cards.

·
Administrator
43,079 Posts
A while back I heard a generic quote that 50% of gift cards go unspent. It wouldn't shock me if that was in the ballpark, especially for the more niche stores.

Many have expiration dates as well.

I agree they are definitely making big profit on unused gift cards. It definitely seems like an element of scam in the huge promotion of gift cards.
I'm sure I've tossed a few that had a couple bucks left.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Two-for-One on travel.
(1) The flight delay. The first leg, they boarded everyone and then came on the speaker to say we would not leave the gate for an hour. Of course, that became two hours. C'mon man. You knew it was delayed for weather in the connecting city. Just let us sit miserably in the boarding area rather than the crowded plane.

So we arrive at the connecting city after the long delay and for five hours, American Airlines delayed the flight 15-30 minutes at a time. If you tell us it is delayed for hours, we would go to a restaurant either at the airport or nearby rather than pile up around the boarding area.

Which leads me to #2

(2) Mask Wearers: If you choose to wear a mask, good for you. Just stop trying to talk to people because we cannot understand you. As a group of random losers were trying to get a charge on our phones, we were gathered around a table with really poor plugs. People were just chatting casually and the mask wearer arrived to join in. Every time he made his muffled, incoherent sounds, people would - Huh? What? Say again? The mask is your choice. If you choose it, sit silently please.

• Haha
Reactions: HNTFSH

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
No one in the household seems to know when a friggin' kitchen trash can is full.
Chit's falling out of it onto the floor and more crap still gets put in it,..err..I mean - on it..

Do I need to draw a "full line " similar to a measuring cup to clue everyone in on when it's FULL?
Are there online vids to demonstrate when a trash can is full?
😂

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Mask Wearers: If you choose to wear a mask, good for you. Just stop trying to talk to people because we cannot understand you.
And if I think the situation is so risky I need to wear a mask. I'm not going into that situation. Keep your 6 feet away from me. 8 feet is better. Stand over there and take your mask off and we can talk. If you think you need a mask, don't get that damn close to me.

Follow the science!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you CANNOT social distance, then wear a mask. Putting on the mask so you can hang out and talk is exactly why masks don't actually help and can actually hurt.

If you would not do it without a mask, do not do it with a mask 🤬

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Card theft AGAIN. Just before Christmas someone tried to shop for their kids on my card. It's happened again only this time it is withdrawals from a bank that serves prison guards, law enforcement, and INMATES. Now I've gotta go through all this bullsh!t again.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Well that sucks Ohio Mike.

Knock on wood, I have not had my card hacked in 2-3 years. For me, it has always followed a business trip. I assume it is the hotel staff (either front desk or restaurant) as they would have the opportunity to capture all the pertinent information off the physical card.

Though you will have to update your card in any online accounts you use, the credit card company should make you whole on any fraudulent charges.

Financial fraudsters and computer virus creators should suffer the same fate as horse thieves of the yesteryear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Knock on wood, I have not had my card hacked in 2-3 years. For me, it has always followed a business trip. I assume it is the hotel staff (either front desk or restaurant) as they would have the opportunity to capture all the pertinent information off the physical card.
Getting your card hacked sucks, gotta do all the paperwork and talk with bank. Had this happen to me a few times and honestly, this is one of the most frustrating things to do.

It's always when you book a hotel/ticket booking I swear. Those days if I intend to travel somewhere, I just go and get a burner card: use it while away and never touch it again.

1181 - 1191 of 1191 Posts