Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who love's to go out and bust some pheaasant's in the fall, when the duck's are'nt flying? I live in NW IOWA so there is plenty of them shot 48 of them last year. Actually only went out after them twice, the rest of them I got walking out of the slough duck hunting mostly, or see them out to my dads farm, and go after them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
While I mostly waterfowl hunt. I always spend at least one three day weekend hunting pheasants with my dad. It is pretty much our annual trip together. It is the one I have always made through college and work and everything else. I live almost 7 hours from home now so we don't get to hunt together as much as we used to.

I sure enjoy watching dogs work and I am still amazed every time a rooster explodes out of the grass or cattails. I always get that little rush.

·
Registered
622 Posts
No fair! :pissed: The closest wild pheasants to me are something crazy like a 18hr. drive. I would absolutely love to pheasant hunt. I'm seriously considering booking a hunt in SD or somewhere where there are some wild roosters. The drive just sucks though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although Iowa has some excellent rooster hunting, if I were to go on a trip to shoot them. I would opt for South Dakota it is by far the pheasant capitol( hard to admit it :laughing: )

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I'm thinking about a trip to Kansas and SD next year. The one bad thing I have heard about SD is the unbelievable numbers of birds. I have a dog that I like to work and see it hunt. I have heard that dogs that aren't used to it go crazy when they go into a field and there is bird scent everywhere. Also I have heard stories of guys limiting out in less than an hour. It's about a 10 to 12 hour drive for me and I want to hunt for most of the day if I'm doing that. I'm going to try to make both trips and see which is better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We have a fair number of pheasants. It's good hunting, nothing like SD or anything, but it gets all of us by.....though funny thing is.....this is my third year and I still haven't killed me a rooster. Most of the time I choke and miss all three or two or maybe even one shot! They scare the crap out of me so......but mostly everytime we go my friend gets one and he gives me the first 2 shots :oops: .....I'm just the unlucky one! :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont worry i've been hunting them since i was ten, and sometimes they still scare the crap out of me!!! Nice thing when they scare you they are close you usually have time to recover, and shoot em :thumbsup:

·
Registered
222 Posts
i go out to iowa to see my aunt and uncle over thanksgiving and usually get some pheasant hunting in then. last year i got 2 roosters and a ton of rabbits. ive been shooting at them for 5 years (since i was 11 or 12) and got my first one when i was in 6th grade. it has almost become a tradition for me to miss the first one i see every year because it is really supprising when they jump out from your feet. great fun tho

·
Registered
883 Posts
:withstupid: Never hunted for the Roosters. I'd love to, just never have.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your ever in NW Iowa give me an E-mail love to go blast some rooties with you. Just make sure it's after thanksgiving thats when it start's getting good! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i plan on giving it a try sometime soon...hopefully even this year. my biggest problem is having the time to do all of the trips i want to take. who knows though, maybe i can work out a combo on one of the ducks trips i am taking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.