Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

here is the pic of my buddys first wood duck.

had

· Registered
1,621 Posts
congrats on the wooduck. looks like those are all hen bluewings. ever get any drakes. we get a few here never get any drakes. we get quite a few greenwings rarely getting any drakes either. anybody know whats up with that?

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the one on the left is a greenwing. we get a few greenwing drakes but never a bluewing. we see them alot before the season opens. the drakes are always with drakes and by themselves. the day we took that picture was the only time i have even seen drakes while hunting. we didn't even get a shot off they came in behind us. the bluewing is one of my favorites mostly cause it is so hard to get.

had

· Registered
3,886 Posts
I do my own taxidermy, and if you are not seeing any drake teals, it's probably because they are both sexes in their eclipse phase. Basically they look very similar when they're in this phase. On the blue-wing, look for the green secondary color on the wing speculum. If you shot one of these birds in January, you would see their true Breeding plumage. Wings cupped, Pete

· Registered
62 Posts
Man, I wish I could find something other than teal and widgeon I want more mallards!!! I've been shooting lots of drake green wings and widgeon over here. Maybe the migrators aren't in WA, State yet. Nice woodie those ducks sure are awesome!!!! Don't get me wrong so are the teal, its just that I haven't seen many mallards here yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.