Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try Lake Lanier for goose hunting, Lake Oconee, Clarks Hill. had lots of luck in these places. ducks I tend to stay in the rivers or private ponds. Good luck Hawk. If you want more details on these lakes just ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lake lanier has several closed campgrounds you can park and walk a half mile to. Buy a Lake map at any WalMart or sporting goods store and go on line to the ga dnr site for regs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
any closes camp groung that is closed we can hunt is that what your saying

what about oconee

because no boat means no ducks or is the hunting good or bad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know about oconee. And its the campground / picnic area that are closed. Check the DNR website for listings and you can also download a Lake lanier map to spot the sites.

Hunting can be hit or miss. In the first split opening weekend was good and the next weekend I saw only two ducks flying and no geese.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wbduckhunter said:
where at oconee and lanier and clark hill, what if u have no boat, u have waders only
you don't have to have a boat to kill at oconee. It might not be as good as some other spots but you can kill'em. try looking on a lake map of oconee. look for the us foresty land that backs up to the lake and look at the 2 large swamps off of hwy. 15 . Also the apl. river @ 15. 1 more spot and my little secret pocket when I did not have a boat is old county rd. 1234 . hope that helps (P.S. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BOAT GET A FLOAT TUBE. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!!!!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
can u give better direction so i can find it in the dark if the direction are good well sunday is looking good

·
Registered
29 Posts
wbduckhunter said:
can u give better direction so i can find it in the dark if the direction are good well sunday is looking good
go hwy 15 south out of athens cross over the river . there will be signs for a boat ramp on the left. park at the boat ramp and there are trails going away from hwy 15. that leads to the big swamp. there will be a creek that dumps into the river just follow it until you it the beaver damn. good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
is that public or private land and do u go there alot

I got to a wma up hwy 11 for all of my ducking and it's get harder and harder

·
Registered
29 Posts
it is a wma. the redlands. check it out if you scout you are sure to shot your woodies and now that it is colder maybe a hooded maganzer or mallard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
is this trail a good one or easy to find and how far do i have to go in to the swamp it's looking like sunday i'm heading there, i think i need to ask my wife.

that boat ramp do u know what the name of it is.

thank a lot

·
Registered
41 Posts
is this trail a good one or easy to find and how far do i have to go in to the swamp it's looking like sunday i'm heading there, i think i need to ask my wife.

that boat ramp do u know what the name of it is.

thank a lot

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a boat and I went out and scouted Lake Lanier today. I didn't see too many geese. Maybe about 15 in a public Park. I didn't see any ducks.

I did see one other bird that was plentiful. It had a black head and brown back. Can anyone tell me where some of the hot spots on Lake Lanier are. Also what kind of bird do you guys think I saw that had a black head and brown back. There were about 30 of them and they were diving for fish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jameszzz said:
I have a boat and I went out and scouted Lake Lanier today. I didn't see too many geese. Maybe about 15 in a public Park. I didn't see any ducks.

I did see one other bird that was plentiful. It had a black head and brown back. Can anyone tell me where some of the hot spots on Lake Lanier are. Also what kind of bird do you guys think I saw that had a black head and brown back. There were about 30 of them and they were diving for fish.
If it had along neck it was a comarant. don't shot them they are protected for some stupid reason.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Them water turkeys will get you under the jail house :thumbsup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Got a fellow at the RV park on Seminole this past weekend to take me to town to get gas (across the lake w/ no gas in boat could get ugly)..he told me that "them there water turkeys ain't half bad t'eat in a pinch"...uggghhhh..guarenteed me it wasn't dry. I'll stick with the ducks thank you though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts