Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any difference in the two types, plastic and metal. Is there a preference for one over the other and if so why.

also acrylic or wood call bodies, I have heard that the acrylics are louder, is that the only difference or are their other differences.

thanks for the info

·
Registered
195 Posts
as far metal vs plastic or mylar....I know of no metal reeds in use....metal fatigue over time or get bent...I have an old herters call with a metal reed....cool call..sounds like crap by todays standards....

Acrylic is louder, weather has no affect on it....Wood is mellow, (more duck like in my opinion) a good wood call is sealed against most weather...Its really a preferance thing...I blow only wood just because it sounds more like a duck....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Interesting thread metal reeds predate me by a ways. The only ones I have blown were antiques. They sounded like antiques. So I don't know much about that I hope someone does I am interested in reading about it.

Wood is mellow sounding also the sound will change from weather conditions even humidity will have effect on the sound as well as temp. I love a good wood call.

Acrylic is more dense does not change from weather conditions. Is crisp in sound but does have a tendencey to stick from condensation more than wood. Louder ? I don't know I have two calls that are the same one is hedge the other is acrylic in volume they are pretty close. The acrylic sure slaps harder though I think there is more body in the acrylic. Especially on top. An acrylic will probably out last the wood call.
I love a good acrylic too.
Bret

·
Registered
598 Posts
Metal reeds are still being made. Glynn Scobey makes a good metal reed duck call. It's called the Reelfoot style call because it was made to be used there on a big lake where you may need lots of volume.

Basically, metal reeds are for those situations when you are on a big lake or the wind is really blowing and you need to be super loud to get the ducks attention and that's all. It's a long range call. Once you get the ducks attention and they are coming in, switch over the plastic reed because a metal reed sounds like s*** if you try and get low with it. Just my 2 cents. :salude:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.