1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Take a large kettle of boiling water and dip your bird in it only for a few seconds. Try plucking. If the feathers are being stubborn than you may need to dip it in the scalding water a little longer. This should help immensely, but it won't help you with those darned pin feathers! Wings cupped, Pete

·
Registered
57 Posts
To get rid of pin feathers you can do a couple things.

Buy a propane torch and lightly singe them off taking care not to burn the skin.

Roll up a newspaper tight and light it, then singe the pin feathers off with the flame. Best done outside. :mrgreen:

Rinse the bird and dry it when your done.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just looking for advice. The plucker looked to save a lot of time. My wife does not look to be plucking any more. She might help if I got a plucker. She likes to help but the pulling hurt her arms. I was just looking to see who used one, how they liked it and so forth.

·
Registered
821 Posts
ol' yeller said:
A lot of guys around here have duck pluckers, but the ones that don't dip their ducks in parafin wax. You can pull the feathers off in huge chunks. I just breast mine out though.

yeller
I agree....

Use the wax, you'll NEVER go back to plucking again!!

Jeff Given

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered the duck plucker from Cabela's to fit into my hammer drill. I'll give it a shoot with the rubber fingers and later with surgical tubing and report back, if any one else is interested.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I pluck off the breast feathers as these are pretty easy, then cut the skin/fat around the breast and then breast them out, leaving the skin on.....I only pluck larger birds like Mallards or a large duck, an other, take your pick, if the bird is big, I see it a waste to breast em' out. But for plucking, I slide my fore-finger up under the feathers, than lock my thumb over the top of the fore finger and pull towards the head....pretty good so far, but I still wish I had a plucker and soon gonna try the boiling water thing!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i dont pluck anymore for ducks and geese, before i did but i tried from the bottom and ripping it open then i cut the breasts out and then i have less mess around than before with all the feathers being plucked, i am glad i did this method instead of plucking all the birds i shoot down. Good Huntin' :getdown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.