Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I don't know if this has been covered here before but my Chessie naturally points and I figure I would like to take advantage of this and develop his pointing abilities. He's 12 months old and has been only trained for retrieving because we mainly hunt ducks/geese (although I do hunt dove, qual, and pheasant). Does anyone have any advise on getting started on pointing? I have checked out a few pointer web sites which do have a lot of info but I need more retriever related pointing tips. For example one potential problem I see is possible confusion with whoaing (standing) when my dog is very steady at sit/heel, which I expect in the duck blind. I just don't want to confuse him or negatively affect his number one priority - retrieving. I do have the advantage of having a field within walking distance of my house that holds lots of dove and quail, this is where I first noticed his pointing. I would appreciate and suggestions.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
413 Posts
I say it would be no different than training one of the "officially" versatile breed dogs. Either a dog points, or it doesn't. All you can do is steady him up.

Check out the NAVHDA site. You might want to pick up "The Little Green Book" (basically the NAVHDA Bible). Maybe check out a club event in your area.

With the NAVHDA method, everything begins with "WHOA". It's the first thing they learn, and it always means the same thing - "Stop right where you are." No confusion, really. It's same whether he wants to creep on a bird, chase a deer, or is about to hit some barbed wire.

I think you might find it extremely useful in your case.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
hey guys. this is a great thread. my dog does the same thing, points naturally though she's a lab. I first realized she points when I saw her pointing the cat hiding under the bed. Like Matt, I've been wondering about how to train her to point. We hunt everything - ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, and I've been known to squeeze off a round at rabbits and squirrels, so a versatile hunting dog is exactly what she is.

Red Dog - that site is very helpful. I ordered a "Green Book" and I'm going to build one of those tables. Looks pretty easy.

Just wanted to say thanks! :salude: :thumbsup:

-Matt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Red Dog,

Thanks for the info I also just ordered the "Green Book" sounds like a great book to start with!

Harvey1b,

Good luck I hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks,
MattM1

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, good luck guys. You might as well develop all the instincts that your dogs possess. They really are amazing animals.

Now if I could just keep mine OUT OF MY CHAIR!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes I'm a member of the national, as well as our local club. A great organization for developing great hunting dogs. It is where I first discovered the Vizsla... and I'm sure glad I did.

You a member? A ton of GSPs, as you probably know.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yeah I'm a member of both international and my local. Definitely plenty of shorthairs to go around. My chapter actually has a great diversity though with all these breeds: Viszlas, Weims, Shorthairs, Wirehairs, Spinone, Munsterlanders, German Longhaired Pointers, Griffons, and a Brittany.

I totally agree with you. Great place for amateur trainers to get started. There are plenty of knowledgeable people around to help out less experienced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
MattM1 I think a popular misconception is that upland and waterfowl hunting dogs are mutually exclusive. I think that if you look at it logicaly there are many more similaritys than not. Pointers at least the good ones are steady to flush and shot similar to a good retreiver that remains steady in the blind. The training of the two as it relates to commands is virtually identical. Take advantage of your dogs natural instincts it makes for a more well rounded hunting companion in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.