Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading one of the other posts labled "pond jumpin", and noticed a lot of you guys said it is illegal. Where did you here this? Pond jumpin goes back a long ways. Thats how I got started duck hunting.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There was a post on there a while ago that some guy was saying that there is nothing like the feeling of firing 3 shots and seeing 30 dead ducks laying on the water. It made a lot of us mad, and they may have deleted that particular post.

·
Registered
142 Posts
boy thats sounds bad , we do quite a bit of " jump shooting " , but you pick your tareget clean....if you hunt long enough you might get lucky and double up , yuo know 2 birds with one shot , but any body who would sluce a group of birds is not a person i want to hang with , killing a limit is way cool .......but there so much more to a day in the marsh....just my opinion........jmike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive been pond jumpin all of my life. It is nice knowing u will probably shoot your limit almost everyday. Who ever said pond jumpin was illegal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Pond jumping is how I frist started to hunt ducks. Ans myself I still don't belive that that guy shoot 30 with 3 shoots, infact the most ducks I have ever seen taken by one person while pond jumping was 9 and they only fired 2 shoots. Yeah I don't know who said it was illegal but that was not right it is legal as long as you do it right!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Pond jumping is also legal here in NS unless U hunt the ponds on the Belleisle Marsh where it is posted No Jump Shooting mainly due to the fact that the ponds R small and they have blinds on some of the islands. Also they allow trapping in the marsh and there R high banks on all sides of the ponds. Safety first.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/ fishing.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
As far as I am aware there is no federal law prohibiting it. Maybe there could be a state law somewhere. What is illegal is shooting over your daily limit. Even if the limit was say 6 and you had no birds yet, and you fired 1 shot and 7 dropped-you broke the law. Part of it is the reasoning of "you should have known that there was a possibility that with them being bunched up so close that it could happen and thus should not have aimed where you did and fiured to begin with." Meaning you are culpable for your actions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When the ducks stop flying after the morning we usually finish off by jumping ponds or pass shooting off points. I think its an awesome way to fill out. I can't believe someone would shoot 30 with three shots....maybe back in the day of lead shot, but not with steel

·
Registered
696 Posts
the part about pond jumping that is illegal is pot shooting, when you shoot a duck while its on the water or on the ground, which,t hats the way it is here in oklahoma, i spose thats what the guy meant when he said it was illegal

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
puddlejumper, do you know where I can find a law that says water swatting is illegal in OK? I've looked over the ODWC's site and couldn't find anything about it. If it is illegal then I have a buddy I'll turn in. I wonder what the reward would be. :laughing: :getdown:

Never done the jump shooting thang, but to each his own. I'm with mallardhunter in that I like to watch those mallards circle overhead and then drop into the decoys. :thumbsup:

yeller

·
Registered
27 Posts
when i started out huntin i jumped alot of ponds treaspassin on ponds and i had a buddy with a few good ponds and we would shoot 30 ducks easy a day. but when i got older and more wiser i would much rather call the ducks in myself. dont get me wrong my pond jumpin days were alot of fun and i will remember them forever, but there is nothin like callin in a flock of 50 mallards watchin them land in ur decoys and droping 10 drakes between 3 hunters.

·
1,455 Posts
"Jump shooting",as I always called it,is a good option on those days when birds won't decoy.Takes a lot of leg work but it beats watching birds fly by in low earth orbit!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts