Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some of these decoy's this year . Sorry no pic's. While I was hunting some new public ground this fall, I was sitting in the blind, and seen some of those marker flag's that are used for tiling, or marking underground utilitie's. The DNR had them out there for marking where the dirt work was to be done. The wind was blowing about 10 mph, and these flag's were wipping around in it pertty good. So that afternoon I took some small copper tubing, bent it in a U-shape and epoxyed it to the back of a decoy, went to the store and bought some brown flag's (mallard hen) and epoxyed them into the copper tubing. With a little bit of wind the flag's whip around pertty good, giving a little bit of motion, better than none. They seemed to really help the spread out. I'm married with three kid's so buying expensive motion decoy's is a big argument when it come's to decoy's or food :smile: So every little bit help's. Still doing some experimenting, will let know how it goes. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Are you field or water hunting?

A weight and a jerk string in water would work good. Hey, I am a cheap/poor as you when it comes to duck hunting. I have to get deals or make stuff myself. So let me know all the good ideas you come up with.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only tried this in the water so far, but am sure it would work in the field as well. Don't do much field hunting for duck's try getting them when they come back, it's hard in Iowa to target what field they're going to because the whole state is perrty much corn or soybeans. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I did something very similar on two fully body Canada dekes...it has certainly not hurt the incoming flights this season, so there may be some level of success....I just could never see parting with the cash they want for flapper winged decoys, especially when a person has to pull a cord to operate them...a slight breeze and I have instant movement, just like windsocks

·
Registered
27 Posts
well if you want a cheap flapper if your kids have any old remote control cars around u can cut a hole in top of and old decoy andfix it where the car sit in there then i took some wood dow rods and drilled hole in the end so it would fit tight over axle of car then then cut me out some wings out of some cardboard and painted it like the wing. you have to drill holes in the side for wing attechment. then either set on water or i have one that the keel had broken off the deak so i mounted it to a pole. put battiers in controller and wallah flapper. if your like me kids have to many toys any way and one controller works for both of mine. :thumbsup: " take a kid hunting you won't regret it"

·
Registered
345 Posts
I never was too keen on the fixed wing landing decoys until I hooked a 3' piece of black 1/4" surgical tubing to it and a string of 7 decoys and then ran the end of the line into the blind. Someone had said it works well to stretch it out and let go when you see ducks so they don't see the motion of pulling the string.

It seemed to work ok. I hope there are birds flying tomorrow and i'll let you know.

john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.