Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they make a noticible difference in recoil? Do any companies make a black anodized choke in modified cylinder for steel shot?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Most all chokes that are produced nowadays are approved for use with steel shot. The only chokes that are ported and a color besides aluminumish are.
Browning Duck Commander chokes-black and camo www.duckcommander.com
Briley's line of hunting chokes. www.briley.com
As far as porting reducing felt recoil, it may but not by enough to sway the pricetag I would pay. Usually the ported chokes are more expensive. THe only reason that I shoot a ported choke I because I think it looks cooler. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought the "comp-n-choke" ported choke tubes for my o/u that I use for sporting clays. I like the porting because it's easier to grip onto when changing tubes than non-ported. These tubes do a great job of stripping the wad and getting better patterns than my stock Browning internal tubes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You are not doing your dog any favors by shooting over them with ported chokes. They will affect your dog's hearing loss quicker and the gas blow out will have even a good dog backing up to get out of the way. I use a ported choke for turkey hunting, only because I got one on sale. I really can't tell that much difference in recoil.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dixiejack brings up a good point. For hunting I never use ported chokes. Out in the field it's just something else to collect debris in and make cleaning your gun harder, and possibly a safety issue as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never considered the diverted gasses, and amplified volume, or how they will effect my dog. I think I'll stay with the factory choke tubes.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Just a quick question to you guys worried about your dogs hearing. Why would you even shoot over your dog? Doesn't seem lika a good habit to get into. The dog should be beside you, not in front of the barrel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
:withstupid:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Unless your dog heels behind you or you only shoot to the off side of him, he is going to get the effect of the muzzle blast. Using regular chokes, I still try to place my dog 6 to 8 feet away from me in the dove field and at the opposite end of my jon boat when I am hunting ducks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The main purpose of a ported barrel or choke tube is to reduce muzzel hop.. Doesn't really reduce the recoil.. If you want to reduce recoil then you are going to need to have the forcing cone modified (extended) and/or work with the stocks recoil pad.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I use a Patter Master (extended & ported) in the 870 & I notice a difference... the ports help deflect the gas in several directions at once as the load is leavin' the barrel, easin' recoil & almost eliminatin' muzzle jump. :yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.