Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
we keep getting more responses on each poll. thanks for everyone's contributions. keep up the great work.

this week, i would like to discuss a topic that is acknowledged by most but discussed by few. for whatever reason, it just doesn't get a lot of attention. what i would like to do here is discuss practice techniques that have helped everyone here become the caller they are and what they are currently doing to become the caller they want to be. one of the biggest hurdles i personally faced was knowing how to practice. let's try and get some tips, techniques, etc. out there to help everyone get better. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Depends on the time of year. During off time I practice weekly, just to keep in tune. As season draws closer, it becomes a daily routine to really smooth it out

·
Registered
313 Posts
i dont really practice during the summer months because im always salmon fishing, bass fishing, or stug fishing but i always seem to practice alot right after the season ends because im still thinking about it adn i seem to practice alot when theres liek a month before the season to make sure i can still get back in tune.....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I practice daily most of the year. I spend most of my time on my main street rutine these days. When I am preparing for a contest I usually blow my rutine four times, three times a day spread out as much as possible to avoid fatigue. I try focussing on what I feel is my weakest point, and improving on it. I record those four rutines once a day for critique. That is when I am a month or so out in front of a contest. normaly I blow the rutine four times once a day then work on "parts" of my rutine some days other days I break it up goofing around with meat stuff different ways to mix bouncing hens and cajun squeal into my meat rutine .......whatever I need to work on.

I think recording yourself is a great way to hear what you need to work on. When I started doing that I learned a lot about my calling fast. Of course a good example to imitate helps as well like Keith Allens cd or some of the RNT instructional stuff.

An understanding wife helps a bunch too.

Bret

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bret,

i only call for hunting but i use the recording method too. i have a little digital recorder that i call a few sequences into and then play them back. it has helped me tremendously in a short amount of time. i also record different "hunt" calls from DU and other waterfowl action shows. then i try to immitate the different sequences used in those. it's amazing how this audial aid helped me. i personally don't think you can judge yourself calling until you listen to it played back.

btw, Good luck in your contests.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Lately, like duckbum said, I have been practicing a lot now that season is over. I also justed picked up 2 new calls on after-season clearance. I am going to start woriking at it harder. I have decided to take my calling to the next level. Maybe I can impress my buddies next year. :getdown:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have been at it a few years, so I get them out on occasion & practice a little from time to time. There isn't a catagory for me on the poll so I'll check monthly. :thumbsup:

I'm thinkin' about gettin' that 3 CD set by Rich-N-Tone & practicin' until I'm perfect . :yes:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I too spend some time in the car for practice. I have a relatively short commute to wherever I am headed that I often do not have the time to work on a lot of calls. My brother is our caller, but just his ability will not always suffice. when I get a free moment at home alone (which is seldom) I blow like crazy for that period. There are times at work when I can work on it too. As a lifeguard for the local YMCA during the day I get some pretty quiet times, I usually have to quit my practice when a member arrives I've gotten plenty a wierd look, as it seems people in the twin cities here don't quite understand why we do it). In these situations the acoustics can be quite good. The other times at work, during the summer I spend my time at camps where my audience is actually interested to hear the callls and learn a bit. I bring all my calls (deer, coyote, rabbit distress and duck calls) to work with me. Children, while not knowing a lot about hunting, can tell the difference between a bad duck call and a good one, often or not. Thats when I find I learn the best. All in all I get an hour or two a week.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quackcephus said:
I have been at it a few years, so I get them out on occasion & practice a little from time to time. There isn't a catagory for me on the poll so I'll check monthly. :thumbsup:

I'm thinkin' about gettin' that 3 CD set by Rich-N-Tone & practicin' until I'm perfect . :yes:
what set are you referring to?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.