Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently force fetching my dog and I'm starting to believe he has a "soft mouth" problem. He rolls the bumper in his mouth while heeling in training. When we are doing a game of playful fetch, he naws on it in excitement until I put my hand out.

I noticed that the rubber bumpers I have been using since he was a small pup are squishy. And the 2 X11 E Z Rotational Bumpers I just recieved from Mclabs are firm and cannot be squished.

And on another FF topic, "stingray" said that his dog continued to roll the bumper but after forcing him to hold a busch beer can he noticed the dogs grip to be more firm on the bumper.

So.............Are the firmer bumpers a good way to stop the problem? And when he begins to roll the bumper in his mouth what would be the best thing for me to do?

And I'm using a bumper exactly like the one in this pic to prevent him from cigarring, which can lead to soft mouth problems.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
This is an anxiety issue.
I made my own Force bumper to stop the same problem you're having. When your dog starts "Mouthing" the bumper, grab his collar under his chin and insert your thumb between the mandible bones in his lower jaw and apply upward pressure and tell him to "HOLD".
It took about 5 or 6 sessions of this to cure Boomer of "Mouthing", "Rolling" and "Chomping".

·
Registered
57 Posts
I definitely think using a firmer object would help, also what I have been doing is get him to hold step back about 3 feet and use a stick to kinda distract him when he starts rolling I use the stick to knock it out of his mouth correct him with a no and place the bumper back in

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brydog said:
This is an anxiety issue.
I definitely believe this has a lot to do with it. I'm sure you have read the books that say, "just play fetch with them everyday". Well I did and now I swear every time he is around a fetch toy or birds his red rocket comes out, thats why I don't post half the pictures I have of him. Kinda sucks but we just don't need to see that if you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, as far as chomping goes, he only does this with bumpers and now his Dokken fetch toy, not real birds. After about 15 throws he is too tired to chomp.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Oh Yeah,,, the ole' "Red Rocket",,,, seen it a million times.

I don't know if you practice this or not but, I only use bumpers to train with. When the Dokken's come out, the Dawgs know it's time to play.
It doesn't take em' long to figure out that it's time to play, or time to go to work.

How old is your dog Rookie ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
rookiehunter said:
So.............Are the firmer bumpers a good way to stop the problem? And when he begins to roll the bumper in his mouth what would be the best thing for me to do?
Over the past 30+ years, I've force fetched well in excess of 1000 dogs. You can just imagine the broad range of personalities and the variety of reactions they've shown to pressure.

In my experience, far more often than not, firmer fetch objects were mishandled more than handled correctly, and rarely did they substantively improve the mouth of a dog that was rolling or mouthing the previous object.

If I was faced with solving the problem, it would be treated invidually by trying out some of the various cures that had shown high success over the years, and look for what helped most with a particular dog. That is a fairly narrow category of items - mostly soft and large. If the dog in question were as large as the one pictured, I would tend to go with a larger bumper.

In the initial process of FF, I now universally start the process with a paint roller; starting with "Hold", and continuing through fetching to the ground. Just as we are preparing to start walking fetch we transition to a small (medium-soft) plastic bumper. The paint roller has been more acceptable, and has produced the best initial responses from more dogs than any item I've researched over the years for this purpose.

As an aside, is that a pvc fitting on the end of that bumper? That's a really nice item, especially when you start fetching from the ground. It also tends to promote a stabile hold.

EvanG

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
fred48 said:
Bry?
Is that boomer in the picture?

He's one fine looking young man.
And, whoever took the picture is a fine young photographer.
Yea Fred,
Thats Boomer when we finished up on FF. He was about 11 months old. He'll be 3 on St. Patties day, March 17th.

As far as the "Fine young Photographer" that was me when I was 45 ! :eek:

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Now I'm half of 95 ! :stouff:

What I used to do all night long, now takes me all night to do ! :zzz:

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
rookiehunter said:
I'm currently force fetching my dog and I'm starting to believe he has a "soft mouth" problem. He rolls the bumper in his mouth while heeling in training. When we are doing a game of playful fetch, he naws on it in excitement until I put my hand out.

I noticed that the rubber bumpers I have been using since he was a small pup are squishy. And the 2 X11 E Z Rotational Bumpers I just recieved from Mclabs are firm and cannot be squished.

And on another FF topic, "stingray" said that his dog continued to roll the bumper but after forcing him to hold a busch beer can he noticed the dogs grip to be more firm on the bumper.

And I'm using a bumper exactly like the one in this pic to prevent him from cigarring, which can lead to soft mouth problems.

Hey RookieH,

Killer lookin' Brown Dawg you get. Stick some pics in the Chessie thread for us.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EvanG said:
As an aside, is that a pvc fitting on the end of that bumper? That's a really nice item, especially when you start fetching from the ground. It also tends to promote a stabile hold.

EvanG
Yes, they are 2" PVC reducers. This strategy was recommended by another on the forum and it works really well. I should have used it earlier. And you have convinced me to purchase some large bumpers.

EvanG, I would consider my dog a large dog, he retrieves geese by the body easily and has a big head like the one pictured. Previously I used only 2 X 11 inch bumpers. I noticed that his anxiety caused him to naw easily on the 2" bumpers. So I thought the dokken would help solve the problem but because its made of foam he still naws on it its just more difficult. Because its more difficult to naw on I think if I use it more he might stop doing it?

Brydog, my pup is a year old. He was started on force fetch with a trainer at around 8 months but he was no where near finished when I got him back. I'm not only a rookie hunter but a rookie trainer and was not shown nor knew how to successfully continue his force fetch. So now I've ordered Fowldawgs 1 and 2 so I can do it the right way.

Which leads me to the question, what do you guys consider a finished force fetched dog, what should they be able to do?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MacMan said:
rookiehunter said:

Hey RookieH,

Killer lookin' Brown Dawg you get. Stick some pics in the Chessie thread for us.
Sorry Guys, I should have said this earlier but the Chessie in the pic I posted is not my dog. Its a pic I pulled from a cigaring thread I read on the forum. The only dog I own is in my avatar.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Great lookin' dawg - HOLD!!!!! BTW, my brown dog was sort of loose with the bumpers too. I though - okay, but she tends to release a little early too - not good in hunt test; however, this year she had a bunch of wounded ducks to deal with and one really pissed her off - I then had to worry about hard mouth - she wasn't gonna let the dang birds get away from her.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Good lookin' Dawg Rookie ! :thumbsup:

The ear positioning of your pup tells me that you're doing the FF properly.
The last pic shows a lil' distress but I think thats due to "Photographer Encroachment" :tongue:

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah he is not one to pose.

And to answer your question Brydog, he just turned a year on the 11th of this month. I don't have any real pictures of his body type but its what people notice first when they see him, he has a big chest and small waist. Its a good thing he loves to hunt cause his good looks would be useless to me... :biggrin:

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
You talkin' ta' me ?!?!?

Boomer's a ham. As soon as I pick up the camera, he grabs up whatever is closest and sits. He's done that ever since FF.

Another "HAM" picture :

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.