Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost 2 year old yellow lab male, and he is fast & dominant and will take other dogs birds if he doesn't get there first, how do I break him of this? He is collar conditioned.

·
Administrator
42,446 Posts
When you say "get there first" are two dogs running after the same bird and if so, why?

It's a dominance & OB issue for sure but has the dog been force fetched and/or worked with other dogs in training?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Has the dog been taught to honor another working dog?

Does he sit and wait his turn (honor) or is every bird down a foot race to see which dog arrives first?

I've also seen dogs who will honor right up until the time the working dog gets back with the bird then they "steal" it from the mouth of the working dog.

Is this the problem your having?

More details please!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we pheasant hunt, so there are always several dogs in the field at once and none of them honor. It is nearly always a foot race but he steals them when he isn't the first one there.

·
Administrator
42,446 Posts
You partially answered your own question. Teach the honor. You guys are allowing them to compete.

That and train sit-to-flush. Then send the chosen dog on the retrieve (the dog that made the flush).

I would also train with a few of these dogs on simple bumper tosses and make them honor.

The dominance thing is one you are just gonna have to take a role in when it shows itself but ya have to stop encouraging it. Fix it in training not in the field - you'll all be happier. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
huntnful said:
we pheasant hunt, so there are always several dogs in the field at once and none of them honor. It is nearly always a foot race but he steals them when he isn't the first one there.
That makes the problem MUCH more difficult to resolve. In an upland situation it is very hard to get a dog to honor, particularly when he is being hunted with a brace of other dogs who are not taught to honor. My initial suggestion to you would be to go back and and work on training him to honor in a more controlled environment with one other dog at most. This is best achieved in a waterfowl hunt type setup where each dog takes turns while the other dog retrieves. As your dog becomes more proficient at the one on one setups you can advance to multiple dogs.

As far as the upland setting I hate to tell you this but there are certain friends of mine who I will not hunt my dogs with since their dogs are not trained to honor. We have a gentlemen's agreement whereby we take their dogs some days and mine on others as it's not fair to expect an honor broke dog to sit and watch a breaking dog pick up all the birds. Your dog may not be able to go every trip but the trips it goes on it will not be picking up any undesirable habits.

The problem of your dog "stealing" the bird is completely a dominance issue. Your dog is an alpha dog and as such believes that he should "eat" first in the pack. This is a training issue that you must tackle to let the dog know that it is unacceptable to remove a bird from another dogs mouth. Stay on top of it or it will get worse!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, we also have his mom too and he is the worst with her. Do you guys think it would be efficient training to have her hold the bird and walk him by her and nick him and tell him no and pop on the leash if he attemps to take it from her.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
This is a tough one. I say that because I'm going through the same thing with my CLF Molly. We're working on Honoring and it's coming along well. I just started this about 3 weeks ago. Boomer is no problem at all, but Molly's a bumper stealin' lil' biatch. I work them every day, twice a day and I see a daily improvement in her.

If you can find another dog to train with, I think that would be a great help to you and your problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am working on it right now. for some reason I just didn't introduce it when I taught him all of the basic obedience and now I am kicking myself for it. I will do the training with his mom and then in the field maybe a simple nick no nick will detour him from taking other dog's birds.

·
Administrator
42,446 Posts
Cool - will definately give you a level of control when and where ya want it. I remote sit via whistle or collar tone A LOT while upland hunting. I didn't train sit to flush in the beginning (wish I had) but could always stop, or call the dog off, with a remote sit.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Teach The Dog To Honor.........Have your dog on a checkcord with heeling stick in hand and have a mark thrown and let the other dog retrieve..If your dog budges give him a whack with the heeling stick and command "sit"...Enforce to the "sit" command because if he moves without commanded that is a "sit" violation...
If the do is properly CC'd you can use the "Sit" Nick "Sit" along with the whack of the heeling stick..."Sit" MEANS "Sit"....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.