Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an addopted 2 year old golden and am trying to get him into hunting. He LOVES to retreive anything and everything. my problem is that whenever i shot a bird and it falls, he gets scared. when i was out in iowa over thanksgiving, i shot a pheasant and he ran the half mile back to my uncles house. Hes not gun shy cus when i miss :oops: he just stands there looking at me. he has picked up a dead duck that i was thowing for him eagerly but its just when he hears a shot and sees it fall. Thanks to anyone that can help

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
you do have a problem there. somebody peppered that dog, probably more than once. like most situations like this, put him on a lead and reassure him that things are fine. take it slow, he'll catch on. hth!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I agree with the two :withstupid: . I never heard of this either let us know what helps or you find out I would like to know. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I got my chessie that you see in the picture from the humane society about a year and a half ago. He was CRAZY about retrieving and noiseshy. Not gun shy, but noiseshy. There is a difference. Is your dog scared when he sees a gun, or just scared of the noise? If he is scared when he sees the gun this is much more difficult. If he is just scared of the noise, buy a toy cap gun and fire it off around the house randomly about 5 times a day. When your dog is finally to the point where he doesn't blink when the capper goes off, take him into the yard and throw bumpers for him, when you shoot a cap off, throw the bumper. (This took my dog two and half months before I could play fetch with the noise) Pretty soon you dog will #1, realize the noise is not bad, #2 they will realize the noise means they get to go retrieve or go swimming.

When you finally take your dog hunting again, I would suggest hunting him over decoys where the shots are super close. Do this by yourself. Everytime you shoot your gun, there has to be a big duck yellow feet kicking in the middle of the decoys for your dog to see. Keep him tied to your waist so he has to see it all. Take extreme patience and and keep your shots close, you want it one shot, one kill.

This is what I did with my dog, it took about four outings before I could let him sit in the blind with another guy gunning. Just be patient, don't go too fast your he will never get over it.

Mike

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
This is a strange one for sure. Just a thought, but has the dog had a bad experience with a wounded bird when it was young? Just thinking if it tried to take down an injured goose for instance when it was young and got a good thrashing or some situation similar then I could see where that could have caused the dog to be a little timid of an injured bird. I had a hunting dog when I was a kid on the farm that was fine on birds, but gave the hen chickens in the yard a lot of respect. You can guess the cause of that.

If that may be the case you could work with a pigeon with clipped wings or something to build the dog's confidence on a small bird. Kind of a long shot, but just thought I would throw it out there.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
good past thaner, I figued the dog was noise/gun shy. I have never heard of a dog scared of a falling bird. I have to call my dog off the close shots, he tries to catch ducks out of the air, and has came VERY close to succeeding.

Mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he loves playing with the wings from the pheasants and ducks so the scent doesnt bother him. last year we took him goose hunting but he was in the blind and couldnt see the birds fall. when he went to go look at it (we really just wanted to see what he would do around birds) it snapped its head up and started honking but it didnt flap its wings or anything
thanks for all the help so far

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Do you have any dead frozen ducks/geese in the freezer? If not find a couple and play fetch with them. Then start to bring noise into the situation. The next time you hunt your dog, make sure the dog can see what is going on. When I am training a pup the dog has a better view than I do. I want them to see EVERYTHING that is going on. Pretty sooon the dog will start watching the birds work and will be able to pick out the ones that you shoot. You have to do this in baby steps and it all ties together.

IF you still need help PM me and I will give you my phone number, I am sure you can get your pup over this. If the is not gun/noise shy, and loves to retrieve, it should be super easy to get him to love birds.

Best luck,

Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would go even alittle further and get a live bird take the flight feathers out and let the dog go to town--let the dog the kill the bird, chase the bird, whatever you need to to build back the desire. I too have never encoutered this problem, so I am not sure that this is the way to go, just a suggestion. :smile:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 19 month old female Golden that I am taking to retrieval classes for the last 4 months. We started on the table and did a few FF. Now we are in the field doing off leash retrieves. My problem is she goes full speed straight to the birds and picks them up no problem, but then takes her sweet time coming back or getting side tracked. Has anyone had this problem and know of a good way to fix it ? So far there has not been any e-collars used.

:help:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Rookie said:
I have a 19 month old female Golden that I am taking to retrieval classes for the last 4 months. We started on the table and did a few FF. Now we are in the field doing off leash retrieves. My problem is she goes full speed straight to the birds and picks them up no problem, but then takes her sweet time coming back or getting side tracked. Has anyone had this problem and know of a good way to fix it ? So far there has not been any e-collars used.

different issue altogether. you may want to create a new thread to maximize exposure. i'll address it nonetheless. i have seen this and a quick fix is when she starts her return lackadazically just start jogging backwards away from her. you may even want to get a little excited with your "here" or return command. she'll speed up to catch you, at that point you stop. after a few sessions of this she should catch on.

don't be to hard on her about it if she brings the bird back unscathed though...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
You can't really do a few FF. You either force fetch your pup, or you don't. I would force fetch her completely and It will definately make your pup haul tail back to you.

Mike

Rookie said:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.