Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to go on my first duck hunt this season and am curious about hunting safety on public land such as a refuge w/ no fixed blinds. Maybe a stupid question: When you set up, how do you know that there isn't anybody in your line of fire? Say you're hunting in a marsh, there could be somebody straight across from you on maybe a small pond that you can't see because of the grass. Or, even worse, you could be setting up where you may get hit by somebody else's pellets. How is this avoided?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Peake, welcome to the wonderful world of public land...where there are NO gaurentees that some fool aint going to set up on ya then blast in the face with some #2s. I could tell ya the story about 2 jerks showing up 15 minutes before shootin time and pullin up in the toolies in front of us, between us and our decoys. I could tell ya the story about some old man that sets up with his 4 decoys straight across from us and our 100 decoys then proceeds to shoot my dad in the face. I could tell ya more horrer stories than ya care ta hear, but, I'm not. I will tell ya how not to be a one these types of jerks however. Get to your potential spot ATLEAST an hour before shooting time. Keep your flashlight handy, so when somebody starts getting to close, you can show them the light. Stay ATLEAST 100 yards away from a group that you dont know. Dont shoot someone elses "swing" ducks. Dont take forever going through your gear at the boat ramp. Dont aimlessly highball ducks that aint there. Dont skybust. Ive meet some really nice guys duck hunting...Ive also seen some of the stupidest antics Ive ever seen in the marsh. Common sense will go a long way out there. Ive heard of boat trailors pushed in the marsh...live snakes left in unlocked cars at the ramp...fist fights....knife fights....and even dog fights. BE CAREFULL OUT THERE! Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
you just have to be carefull and watchout for other people.try to go during the week.when theres not as many people.when someone comes make them aware you are there.weve had guys sit close to us to shoot the ducks working are decoys and actually had guys walk up and shoot our dekes thinking they were real ducks.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Ah, public land. Here in W. Pa. public land is about all that there is for ducks & geese over water. All that I can say is - right, get there early, like Ducksbeus said. Keep a flashlight, or, better yet, a Coleman lantern lighted in your boat or at your spot to let latecomers know that you're there. (Of course, You'll have to exstinguish it before shooting hours). I've had shot rain upon me that I knew was unintentional; fortunately I've never been shot @. Also, I bring a small pocket Pslams & New Testament. Helps to keep the whole thing in the proper perspective. Sometimes Divine Intervention is just the thing for dealing w/ the ill - willed. My limited experience has taught me that fools are best left to the Almighty any way.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There are always morons around especially before it gets cold and nasty (real duckin weather) the best way to be sure and safe is scouting you should be scouting all year and have a place set on where you are going to go and have a plan b and c for other places to go. and i'm not talking general area i'm talking have your spot ready. your just starting try to hook up with some guys local to you to learn the ropes. always get to where you are going early keep an eye out for others setting up. waterfowling is one of the most involved sports you can get into it takes alot of time and effort.. have fun and welcome to the addiction

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.