Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pro's and con's of each type of gun? I am looking at getting a new gun, but dont know if I should go with a pump or an auto. I'd like the auto, but are they worth the extra money??
Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Like night and day. You will hear it both ways but its like asking whether you should be a standard or automatic both have their place but I will choose the auto. Go ahead and get one of each. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a Mossberg 500 pump for over 10 years. I also have a Remington 20g 1100 that my father left me. I have recently got a Mossberg 935 autoloader. I have killed deer, dove, hogs ducks, and lots of varmints with all of them. The only reason I got my 935, is with my handicap left arm I got tired of brining that pump down to eject the shell. That seemed to me as good of an excuse as any to get a new gun. From the time I was a young boy to now I have cleaned my guns every time I have shot them, or every two months if I haven't shot them. I can truthfully say I haven't had any problems with any of them.
I hope I have helped you in some way.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
376 Posts
IMO - once you make the switch to the auto-loader you will never go back. Modern auto shotguns are just as reliable as pumps as long as you do not over oil and follow-up with routine maintence. I have never had a hunt where my gun "froze" and my coldest hunt this year was -2; the wind chill was -18 but that only effects us humans not the guns. There is also the added benefit of recoil reduction; which will make everyone a better shooter!

Remember guys this is an opion so dont get upset and start blasting me because you dont see it my way.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The pros of an auto: softer shooting as the action uses some of the energy from the shell to cycle the action; quicker cycling- on average you get quicker follow up shots; pull trigger & pull again- no manual action required

Pros of a pump: less internal "mechanics" in the gun- can be a little more reliable than an auto; typically stays cleaner than autos as none of the shell's energy (gas or recoil) is used to cycle; most are a little easier to clean; less expensive

Cons of autos: typically get a little dirtier due to previously mentioned pro of the pump; more expensive and can be somewhat heavier- depending on the model chosen; some models require more work to clean- again this depends upon the model chosen; more expensive

Cons of pump: not as fast as an auto- but this can be a reality check...just how fast must a gun be in hunting situations; must manually cycle the action- so some this can be cumbersome; more recoil as there is no "action" to utilize and/or absorb any of the shell's energy.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Apexhunter did a great job explaining that to you. I always have like a pump gun for myself. I hunt hard and im sure and auto would work fine but i just have a hard time putting the pump down when it comes to duck and geese.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If I went with the auto, I would only get a recoil operated or inertia driven gun. All the pumps are fine. Dont buy a Charles DalyAuto! I did and it only shot well for about 300 rounds. My personal choice is a Nova and the Mossberg 835 pumps. Both of these guns have performed flawlessly for me!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
There's really no comparison for me. I own a couple pumps, and they have their place (as backups) but ask anyone that hunts with me and they'll tell you I can have threee birds down before they fire the second shell on their pump. They are slightly cleaner and a little cheaper, but you can find cheap autos and unless you're shooting blue dot or something cleanliness isn't really a problem. For me if I'm not going to be shooting an auto, I'm shooting a double. I don't think pumps compare to either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Personally I'm a pump guy, been hunting with a pump gun for 30 years, and carried one in Somolia, so I am very happy with it. I know many many people that are happy with their auto cannons too. I think the biggest advantage of a pump gun over the auto, the pump doesnt really care what you feed it, it will shoot it and you cycle it. Auto, well they can get picky at times, though I think the new ones are a lot better. the cost is something too, you can buy 3 Novas for 1 BSEII, so thats one pump gun and a pile of ammo, and a cleaning kit too.
I borrowed an 1100 a couple years ago, pulled the trigger, tried to pump the dam thing, funny eh, well my buddies thought so too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If somebody tells you they can soot 3 or 3.5" mags through their autoloader any faster than you can through your pump, you have to question where the second and third shots are going. Simply put, a person whos got any kind of experience with a pump can put 3 rounds on target just fast as a guy with an auto. Sure you can rattle off 3 shells faster with a semi auto, but where are they going? I would say I have the action worked in half the time it takes to get back on target when shooting 3.5" mags.

Basically don't let anybody tell you that a semi auto is faster. Just realize that it is, but only if you ommit the "ready" and "aim" in "ready, aim, fire"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.