Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seven week and some day old clf when in the kennel will whine all night long, maybe taking like 2 30 min breaks through the night to sleep. You all have any advice?

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
In the Dawg world, that is known as "Separation Anxiety".
Like GHD said, put a stuffed animal in with your pup, it should help a little bit.
For me, that is the biggest annoyance about bringing home a new pupparoo.

She'll caln down in a few days. Just be patient and don't loose your cool. :thumbsup:

BTW,,, Congrats on the pup. Lets see some pic's...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had the same issue with my clf, I tossed an old sheet over her kennel in the evening to keep her feeling a bit more secure, like a den almost. Toys are good too.

We never found much of a golden cure though... just have to know it'll get better shortly!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah I think the blanket over the kennel thing works wonders. My boy would whine and whine and whine until either I got so sick of it and had to get up and let him out and run him, or just try and ignore it. I threw a blanket over the kennel and it seemed to keep him quite more often than not(He still whined a bit but not as much). I would throw a stuffed animal in and his chew rope. Seemed to keep him occupied enough. And like was said, eventually the whining will stop.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
get an old tick-tock clock, wrap it in a fluffy sock, throw it in the kennel. this worked perfectly for me. it is supposed to simulate a beating heart like that of the mother or other pups. i was skeptical until i tried it and it seriously does work. good luck finding a clock though! tried 3 wal marts, and target ended up having one. i also read somewhere that getting one of them chew toys that allows you to put treats inside will work. just tape it or tie it in the corner where she cant drag it out and she should stay occupied. good luck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I put stuffed animals in my pups crate, and also one of those hot water bottles. I put it in the corner with a blanket over it, suppose to comfort them. It worked. I have also heard about the clock thing like mentioned working great. Good Luck.
Ryan

·
Registered
187 Posts
If the clock thing works, there are numerous things in the baby areas of any superstore you would go to that would sell the in the womb sounds things. Supposed to work for babies so why not for dogs! And yes the KONG brand chew toys do work.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I agree with the other posts...all good Ideas.........some work, some don't, just keep the faith & your cool :thumbsup:

By the way you don't have kids do you?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :yes: :yes:

You'll wish you had a whiney dog :headbang: :shades:

·
Registered
89 Posts
All good ideas. Took two nights for us. I put the crate in our bedroom where she could see us and it took care of itself rather quickly. The stuffed animals I heard will work wonders, especially if it has you or your familiy's scent on it.

Be careful not to let the pup out of it's crate/cage or go over by him/her each time you have a whining session or you will end up prolonging the process by weeks. They'll associate the wimpering with the result of getting out....which my neighbor has found out the hard way.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I know a guy that had a pup that was a BAD whiner in the crate. He put her crate next to his bed and tied a rope to the top of it and ran the rope into his bed. Every time the pup whined, he pulled on the rope a couple times causing an "Earthquake" effect. He said it worked better than anything he'd ever tried. After 2 nights of Earthquakes, she's never whined in her crate again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts