Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our puppy started recently hacking and wheezing all the time. its like she is hacking something up and just swallows it back down non stop. anybody have any kind of an idea of what this could be??

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
It sounds like it could be worms of some sort. They can cause the symptoms you're describing.
How old is your pup ?

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
When you take pup back to the Vet for the next series of shots, mention the wheezing and hacking to them.
It's could be that your pup just has a common cold,,,, it happens.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya we dont go until march 5th. im hoping its just that. i mean she has had her first round of shots. first 2 i think. she has all these: canine adenovirus type 2, parainfluenza, bordetella bronchiseptica vaccine, canine distemper, adenovirus type 2, parainfluenza, parvovirus vaccine.

if it is a cold is there anything i can do to ease the coughing?

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I don't know anything right off the top of my head that I'd give a pup as young as yours.
Call your Vet and see if they can give you a suggestion on how to proceed. They may want you to bring your pup right in.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
My little beagle was doing that, she had a mass in the back of her throat, cancer, had to put her down, check the back of the dogs throat, try and notice when the dog eats if it seems to have unswallowed feed in the back of the mouth, hope this is not the case. I believe it is usually more prevalent in small dogs.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
geez i hope that isnt the case! umm just checked her and no apparent masses or anomalies in her mouth/throat, but ill definitely tell the vet tomorrow to do a more thorough check. she still eats like a damn horse too!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
When I was telling the vet the symptoms about the beagle he said it sounds like alergies, he then opened her mouth and said oh no, had to say goodbye right there, I am sure your dogs problem is simple, I just wanted you to be aware, I wish I had known sooner, not that we could have saved her, but its often hard to tell when a animal is suffering and I never would put my dog through any needles pain and suffering. Please update us after vet visit.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so they found in intestinal parasite called cocksa-something. we are giving her Albon for it and the vet said it should clear up in about 10 days. thats about the time for her to have her next round of shots so when we bring her in for they he is going to do another check and make sure they are gone. if by then they are gone and maggie still has a cough then he will give us some antibiotics for that. he said that if we give both to her she will probably have bad diahrrea and vomiting. oh ya and apparently she has a slight heart murmur!?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts