Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow hunters,
Last week I picked up a 12 week old German Shorthair puppy. I intend to train the dog on both upland birds and waterfowl, but most importantly as a family companion. The question I have is concerning the dog food I should feed him. The breeder had been feeding him "Nutro Max Puppy formula". Their Vet had recommended this brand. I would also like to hear from any of you that would be kind enough to share your opinions on dog food with me.

Also, I would be interested if any of you have any training books or videos that you would recommend.

thank you and good hunting

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am picking up a black lab female from a breeder in Feb. Pup was born in Nov and breeder is jump starting her for me untill I am ready for her.
They reccommended Purina puppy pro and have consistently told me dont let her get fat. they also reccommended Richard Wolters book and videos.
I have purchases them and their methods definitely made sense to me. I got mine at Cabellas.
Good luck with the pup!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Richard Woltors is a joke, that's the first book I read also, but the guy is a idiot, don't wast your money, if you want a real book get the tri-tronics book, I think jim dobbs wrote it or at least he's in it, best book I've seen, by far, all the best feed pro-plan, but I'm sure that other stuff will be o.k. just make sure your dog gets vitamines.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was told by our vets that Purina One was the best food there was if you don't feel like spending $50 a week on Science Diet.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
if the puppy is doing well on nutro leave it.

I personally feed diamond lamb and rice or cosco brand lamb and rice. I have used this since my pup was 7 weeks old.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it's all pretty even when you get to the higher priced feed but Purina One is pretty hard to beat for price and product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts