Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a mossberg 500 that i am going to be using for duck and late goose season. my buddies and i went and patterned our guns and i have a much more open pattern than they do. right now i have an improved cylinder mossberg choke(not accu-steel). i am shooting 2's and bb's. i have a full for steel (4 and 6) choke. i haven't had a chance to pattern that full choke and am not sure if i should, will it damage the gun? the package just says its best patterned with 4 and 6's and doesn't give any warning against bigger shot. i would like to shoot the full to help bring down those big geese. what do you think?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I use a modified choke in my Nova when shooting #2 magnum and 3.5" #3's. Full choke is deadly with #8's and #6's(lead). I havnt patterned any heavy steel ...yet. Improved Cylender is probably not enough choke, unless they're right in your face. Try ya out a modified to see if that could be a happy medium. Dont shoot steel from a full choke on a long term. Y'all have nice day!
:salude:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Remember stell patterns tighter than lead out of chokes. I shoot an IC over decoys, and a mod later in the season. Improved Mod for geese. Sometimes full chokes throw off patterns cause it is too tight for large steel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.