Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm looking to add some divers to my collection of decoys this fall and i can't decide if i should get a dozen golden eyes or a dozen bluebills, or 6 of each. were i hunt we dont get a lot of bluebills(there is some) more golden eyes, bufflehead, ringnecks, and hoody's. i guess i'm asking from experience which kind of duck attracted more attention. also if you don't mind could you guys add some imput in on which brand has the best bluebills and golden eyes. the thing is i've only seen carry-lite have golden eye decoys. lastly is one line of 12 better then 2 lines of 6 with different types such as the bluebills and golden eyes. any other ideas on how i could set this up would be great.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
get you some g&h bluebill divers. and probly some herters goldeneyes. there are alot better eye dekes but there more expensive. carrylite eye dekes dont look to bad i use them. it should be better to keep your bills and eyes seperate. i run 12 dekes per longline. i have mixed on longlines cans redheads and ringers. the eyes like there own kind better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey guys i was hoping for more imput. which diver decoy is better in your a mind golden eyes or bluebills. and which brands do you like best. i'm not asking this question just to simulate thought i'm looking at adding some to my spread and would like to hear everybody's ideas. thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
donell you said you have some golden eye decoys from your experience how have they worked, what divers seem to come to them, how have they held up. give some imput on them. are they carry lite?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have 4 carrylite Goldeneye. The paint has held up pretty well for a plastic carrylite decoy. I have some carrylite goose decoys, and the paint on the carrylite goldeneyes have held up 10 times better. I do baby my decoys though as I hunt primarily by boat and store my decoys in individual slot decoy bags by custom decoy bags of NJ. For the price, the carrylites are a good deal.

I also have 3 Herters model 72 decoys that I bought unpainted and painted up as goldeneye. These work extremely well! I prefer a foam diver decoy because of all of the low close to the water shots. A foam decoy can take a pellet or two much better than a plastic one IMHO. The larger size in the model 72 also shows up better. Goldeneyes decoy well to both the herters and carrylite. I also decoy bufflehead routinely with goldeneye decoys. Goldeneye do tend to prefer to decoy to their own kind in my experience.

Since I do not really need to put out very many diver decoys in the area I hunt (5-7 off of to the side of the puddle duck spread is typical) I usually put them out in singles or often times will put two decoys on one line held by a 16 oz. loop style weight.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
roscoe i have carrylite eye dekes. they have held up pretty well. i think i only have 6 drakes. i try to put most of them together on the outside of the diver spread. we have alot of all other species and all divers come in. we dont get alot of cans or redheads but a few.the area we hunt has very few buffies for some reason. we get quite a few scaup, eyes and ringers.on the river we hunt it made a huge difference in putting a line of divers off the end of the main group.the end one was 50 yards out but they would come right up the line right in our face.3 of us limited when we put the line out. before we would just get a few divers everytime out.i have put a line out before someplaces works great. somplaces it doesnt work to good. just depends what the wind direction is and how big the water is. the day we limited the wind was at our backs and the river isnt real wide there either.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would go with the GHG ringneck or bluebill decoys. They both look sooo good and realistic and cant beat the price! They would be a great addition to any spread and I love um! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Golden Eyes--because you do not have any of the decoys and you said there a more GE than BB where you are.

For Ringbills, consider Autumn Wings resin bodied dekes out of MN, very nice decoys, but pricey. Or for plastics, G&H makes decent standard sized RB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.