Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a gun shop today ,and asked about the 870 supermagnum , the owner said he wouldnt sell remington shotguns because the barrels are known to buldge or burst with steel shot , he said there was a class action lawsuit several years ago. I know if this was a problem when steel shot became law in the 80s ,its long ago fixed, my question is I own a 870 magnum I brought used in 1992 ,ive used it with lead shot on upland birds ,trap and skeet for the last 12 years ,now that im going to try duck hunting this year , do you think its safe to use steel shot ,not knowing the age of the shotgun, do you think bismouth, or another alternative would be a better choice , should I just use this gun for upland game .

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would categorically state that the guy is full of it in regards to the 870's suitability for duck hunting, but I'll refrain. The 870 model has probably killed more ducks, since its introduction, than any other gun on the market.

If you want to make sure that the barrel on your gun is approved for steel shot, give Remington a call. Given the serial number, they can give you the straight dope.

If the guy isn't selling Remingtons, it is more likely a choice he made or one that was forced on him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have been shooting an 870 since i was 12, i am now 23 and have had no problems with that gun. they are the most rugged guns on the market. my gun has been dropped in mud, water, and anything imaginable in the field. and they probably have killed more ducks than any other gun. very dependable. all you might have to do is get another barrel. but that is highly doubtful.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice I've been shooting my 870 for twelve years have had no problems with it ,I just didnt want to ruin it by shooting steel if it wasnt made for steel at the time it was made

·
Registered
2 Posts
All i have ever shot is an 870. I've had it for about 9 years and while all my buddies buy 6-700$ guns i continuously kill as many or more ducks and have less guns problems. I have put my gun through everything imaginable and i cant remember the last time i cleaned it. If somebody gave me 700$ to buy a shotgun i would buy 2 870's and a couple cases of beer!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have shot Steel, lead, Hevi-shot and tungston-iron through my 870. If the barrel was going to burst it would have already happened.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
870 is a great gun. My 870 has been through hell and back and still works like the first day I got it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i am with the rest of them just retired the 870 this season and it had been pasted down form my older bro neither him or me had any problems with it or it's barrel and it show about 2 cases of steel a year on avarge since my brother got it in early teens now he is 32 if that amount of steel hasn't blow the thing up i don't think it or any other 870 barrel will anytime soon

but i have heard a few negs. about the 870 super mag. but i really don't see how seeing that i have only had my gun jame on me one time and it was my falt anyways (shortsroked it) but mine is also jsut a mag.

bottom line i think the gun dealer needs to look in to selling something esle because i guess he dosen;t know good gun when there is one.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Another satisfied customer here too. 870's thrive in a rugged environment. The only problem I had with mine, I caused. I had oiled it the night before. We went on a timber hunt, snowing real hard, cold. The snow got down in to the action, and the cold weather was making the lube I used on it get gummy as well. Combining the two, she froze up solid. I would shoot once, then stick the forearm in a fork of a tree and shove with both hands to break it open, then with a shell stuffed in the chamber, would hand the forearm on the backside of the fork and jerk it closed. Ready for round two :laughing: After that day, two years ago, I've never oiled it again. I hose it out with a brake cleaner real good and call it good. Never had another problem at all, in any weather :salude:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I have an 870 and my grandpa used to and my dad and my friend does. they all love them and they have no problems. We have an old 20ga. that everyone in my family used and it still works great. I wouldn't listen to that guy. I highly recommend an 870 for a starter gun if you are going to start duckhunting, or you want a good reliable gun.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've got an 870 20 ga. that I used when I was younger and now I use an 870 Super Mag. I've had it for about 7 years and it has been through everything you could throw at it and it shoots as good as it did the day I got it. I've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The class action law suit was on the remington rifles, not shotguns. I served as a sniper and it was/is common place for the weapon (700P models) to discharge when moving the safety from the safe position to the fire position.

That 870 is a rugged weapon and served me well for several years. I recently purchased a Benelli Nova and I love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MAN TAKE THAT GUN AND SHOOT IT!!! I SHOOT BUCKSHOT..STEEL SHOT.. LEAD.. AND HELL EVEN SLUGS OUT OF MY 870. I KNOW THATS PROBABLY NOT THE WAY YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR STUFF AND NORMALLY I DONT EITHER BUT I GOT THE GUN WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND I REALLY DIDNT KNOW ANY BETTER. TAKE THIS HOWEVER YOU WANT BUT THE ONLY THING I WOULD BE THINKIN ABOUT IS WHERE THE DUCKS ARE.

THE DUCK STOPS HERE!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
i have shot alot of steel out of my early 90's 870. but call remington like steve said that way you'll know first hand. doesn't hurt to call. good luck with your duck hunting.

had

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've shot well over a thousand rounds through my 870, and the only problem I've had has been with the ejector. My father has rarely missed a weekend during duck season, he has never had any problems either. The 870 is a GREAT gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts