Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the reason you blow a single reed call?

Barnie Calif (sp) 3 time world champion duck caller and hunter says about the only thing a double reed can't do that a single reed can is the ringing hail call....and he prefers a single.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always blown a double and would like to buy a high end call, but not sure if I want to risk going to a single or just staying with a double.

A ringing hail call isn't important to me at all.....this far south, the ducks ain't trying to hear much screaming.....

· Registered
1,401 Posts
I prefer a single for a couple of reasons.

First, a ringing hail comes in handy on big lakes in blizzards, hurricanes, driving rain what have you. So why not have that in your bag of calling tricks. I know some say it is no good for calling ducks, and most times I agree. I don't use it that often but I use it, and it works in the situations noted, and a few others. If nothing else like said before it is cool :cool:

Second, most double reed calls load up easy. often when I need to call I pick it up and there is a bunch of moisture in between the reeds so the call sticks. I hate that.

Third, I like the control. The single gives me the steering wheel I can run it higher in pitch on demand, or sweeten it up easier. To me blowing a double kind of feels like riding a bike with training wheels it is fun and gets me there but one day you take 'em off and you just don't want them back on.

Double reed calls are good calls I don't mean to say they are not. I have some that I love the Rowdy DOA double trouble is a great sounding call, and there are plenty of others. They sure kill tons of ducks every year, but when I buy a custom almost always it is a single. I don't think there is anything wrong with hunting with a double if it is working for you especially.

My 2 bits

Bret

· Registered
57 Posts
I use an an old Olt double my dad gave for sentimentel reasons and it sounds real nice, but every other duck call on my lanyard is a single. They are much more versitale. A double sounds the same no matter what you do.

· Registered
48 Posts
Whatever works for you is the ticket---single, double or even a yentsen triple. Whatever you choose, be the man with it----own it.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My son just bought a BG Tall Timber ll in a single reed from Walmart.....it was $13 and came with a 6in1 whistle......it sounds pretty decent for a cheap call.....and he is going to start learning on it.....his quacks don't sound too bad.......

· Registered
97 Posts
For hunting I usually blow a double. I sound more ducky on a double. But, I'm trying to get into some comp. calling so I always practice with a single. I've found, after recording myself, that I'm alot cleaner and sharper on a single. :getdown:
I think it's neat to be able to pick up any type call and sound good on it. I'm not there yet but I'm not giving up untill I am. :smile:

· Registered
271 Posts
Check out this old thread from THIS forum. Pay attention to the response from Christian Curtis. He is/was a custom call maker, a World Champion duck caller, one hell of a duck hunter, and a pretty smart dude. He aint very pretty though...

:mrgreen:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=246

:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.